Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

advice on learning the bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by shark4, Dec 26, 2004.

1. shark4

shark4

Dec 26, 2004
    Hi I'm new to the forums and I'm thinking about learning to play the bass. I would really eventually like to play the guitar and bass. In middle school I played in the orchestra and played bass, but haven't really had much to do with music since. I really enjoyed playing and now have the time to play again. I do not really know anything about either the guitar or bass other than some knowledge on reading music and just a bit about the two instruments.

One of my main questions are the differences in the guitar and bass and if you were going to play both which would be best to learn first. I think I would enjoy bass better because of it's sound and the fact that I have big hands and find it kind of difficult on the guitar when I try and play. Would the bass be easier for me?

Really I'm just looking for some help. Also what would be the best way to approach learning a new instrument?

2. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Read the thread called 'bass is easy'

Neither is really easier, but I say go with bass - i'll move on to Guitar when I'm better...

3. :confused:

4. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Lol, for me I couldnt get the hang of chords, and I liked the way a bass sounds...so I went with that.

I'll go on to guitar eveutnaully...

5. don't think. just do. just go buy yourself a good bass and stick with it.