Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Advice on lightweight power amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jsonnenblick, Dec 31, 2001.

1. OK, I have an SWR Grand Prix preamp, but no power amp. So I need to buy a power amp pretty soon. I don't need a huge amount of power; I was always happy with the power of an SWR Bass 350 I just sold (but couldn't afford to keep both the Grand Prix and the 350!) I would like to limit the weight of the power amp as much as humanly possible, though.

Any advice? The Carvin DCM-600 looks like a great deal at 19lbs. and $319.00, but I don't know anyone who has one I could hear or try.

2. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    listen to your grand prix thru the headphone out - that's what the carvin sounds like. it's very accurate - to the point where i wouldn't worry about not being able to hear it ahead of time.

that said - the dcm600 isn't much heavier than the dcm1000, and it's only about 50 bucks more. but i wouldn't call it "lightweight." a stewart world poweramp would probably fit your requirements better, but it's more expensive.

jason

3. Wait a sec -- the DCM 600 weighs MORE than the DCM 1000? That doesn't sound right. . .

4. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    yeah i think that is backwards ;). I would say get a carvin DCM1500 or a DCM2000.. It is just power,and wont color your tone, I was thinking about getting the DCM1500.. but I have decided to go for the DCM2000, that way you can always add cabs and won't have to worry about not having enough power... just my opinion of course :)

5. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    yup i got that backwards. it should read "the dcm1000 isnt much heavier than the DCM600"

i'm a smartie every day. :rolleyes:

jason

6. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    qsc1602 for $600 @ 26lbs....

buy lord valve

7. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I second Captain Wally's thoughts. I think that the PLX's are wonderful.

8. Freakapotamus9

Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    Nebraska
    id go for a carvin dcm1000. lots a power, relatively light, and ya cant beat that price!

9. I agree with the QSC reco - outstanding amps, lightweight and durable. I think they sound great when matched with a good preamp for bass.

Jeff

10. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    That's 21 lb. ;)

11. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    That's $28.57 a pound! What a deal! I think that Beef Jerky is more expensive than that. :)

12. For a thousand watts or less, the Carvin DCM1000 is a great choice @ 23lbs (and still on sale, $385 delivered). I've had mine for a few weeks now and it's clean and powerful. My guitar player has already been complaining. :D

13. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    oh yeah,

it's my ampeg svt3pro that's 26 lbs.

(for sale! *plug plug*)