Advice on lightweight power amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jsonnenblick, Dec 31, 2001.

1. OK, I have an SWR Grand Prix preamp, but no power amp. So I need to buy a power amp pretty soon. I don't need a huge amount of power; I was always happy with the power of an SWR Bass 350 I just sold (but couldn't afford to keep both the Grand Prix and the 350!) I would like to limit the weight of the power amp as much as humanly possible, though.

Any advice? The Carvin DCM-600 looks like a great deal at 19lbs. and $319.00, but I don't know anyone who has one I could hear or try.

2. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    listen to your grand prix thru the headphone out - that's what the carvin sounds like. it's very accurate - to the point where i wouldn't worry about not being able to hear it ahead of time.

that said - the dcm600 isn't much heavier than the dcm1000, and it's only about 50 bucks more. but i wouldn't call it "lightweight." a stewart world poweramp would probably fit your requirements better, but it's more expensive.

jason

3. Wait a sec -- the DCM 600 weighs MORE than the DCM 1000? That doesn't sound right. . .

4. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    yeah i think that is backwards ;). I would say get a carvin DCM1500 or a DCM2000.. It is just power,and wont color your tone, I was thinking about getting the DCM1500.. but I have decided to go for the DCM2000, that way you can always add cabs and won't have to worry about not having enough power... just my opinion of course :)

5. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    yup i got that backwards. it should read "the dcm1000 isnt much heavier than the DCM600"

i'm a smartie every day. :rolleyes:

jason

6. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    qsc1602 for $600 @ 26lbs....

buy lord valve

7. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I second Captain Wally's thoughts. I think that the PLX's are wonderful.

8. Freakapotamus9

Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    Nebraska
    id go for a carvin dcm1000. lots a power, relatively light, and ya cant beat that price!

9. I agree with the QSC reco - outstanding amps, lightweight and durable. I think they sound great when matched with a good preamp for bass.

Jeff

10. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    That's 21 lb. ;)

11. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    That's $28.57 a pound! What a deal! I think that Beef Jerky is more expensive than that. :)

12. For a thousand watts or less, the Carvin DCM1000 is a great choice @ 23lbs (and still on sale, $385 delivered). I've had mine for a few weeks now and it's clean and powerful. My guitar player has already been complaining. :D

13. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    oh yeah,

it's my ampeg svt3pro that's 26 lbs.

(for sale! *plug plug*)