Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Advice on M-Pulse 360 and QSC pwr amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Freakin Idiot, Jul 31, 2005.

1. Guys, I'm about to sell my SWR 750x to my guitar store for $700 and buy a discontinued Mesa/Boogie M-Pulse 360 for the same price...it's going to be a swap. Unfortunately they have to ship it in from another state and the only M/B product I have tried is the Walkabout, which sounds pretty freakin sweet.
    You guys got any comments about the 5 band parametric EQ? I have read on Harmony Central that it is too interactive, but then again it IS a parametric EQ. I fully understand the 3 band on the Walkabout and can use it well...what's 2 more knobs right? Also, I could have sworn the M-Pulse models had overdrive, but I can't find anything about it anywhere.

And now the power amp...I want more than 360 watts and Rockin Robin's, who I am selling my 750x to, has a used and in excellent condition QSC RMX 850 power amp. That's 830 watts bridged mono. Any comments on this model of power amp? I did a lot of research on this stuff, but I always like to hear from owners.
    Anyway, new, this thing is 300 bucks. Is 200 a good price to get it down to? Do you guys think it is reasonable? I would like to get it lower, but I just don't know what to shoot for.

Thanks you guys.

2. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    I have the M-Pulse 600, the parametric eq is a hell of a lot more then "another 2 knobs" :). It's great, you can set everything to "flat" and then tweak from there just to get that slightly different sound. The 360 is more powerful then it appears, the 600 screams but the 360 is just as loud and power. What venues are you playing that you'll need the power amp?

3. BTW there are only 8 still floating around the U.S. in different Guitar Centers, and at a $500 price drop for discontinuation (is that a word?) they might go pretty fast SO KEEP YOUR FILTHY HANDS OFF OF EM!! Just kidding...but seriously...don't take mine away from me ;)

4. What it all comes down to is that if the M-Pulse 600 was 900 bucks, I'd snatch one up. But I really don't want to downgrade in headroom. Right now I just play around with different people with high wattage amps.

I have another question: How do you think it will sound through my SWR Pro stack? I figure my cabs are pretty similar in response to the M/B one I played through.

5. The 600 would IN NO WAY be a downgrade in headroom from the 750x. Mesa watts are very loud.... the 600 into 4ohms should put out as much or more sound than the 750x... spend the extra cash and be done with it! :)

6. He's saying that the 360 would be a downgrade. At $700...he's adding another $200 power amp for a total of $900. He's saying that, for the same amount of money ($900), he would buy a MB 600 if he could find one, but doesn't feel comfortable with just the 360.

Mike

7. I get it... thanks.

8. Yeah. I contacted Mesa and they said the 360 would do just fine with my 1x15 and 4x10, but it would break up at a slightly lower volume. I want all the headroom I can get though and I'm starting to wonder if I will need a 15 that can handle more than 350 watts. Bridged mono, like I said, I will be running at 830 watts....you think my Son of Bertha can handle it?

9. JOME77

JOME77

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    First off, The Mesa M-pulse series amps are really great sounding amps. I currently have a Walkabout and love the sound and portability of the head. I owned a M-Pulse 600 for about a year and quite frankly I get pretty much the same sound out of the Walkabout and I would expect the M-Pulse 360 to be more fo the same. Of course you're right, the M-Pulse 600 has significantly more headroom. Rather than get an inexpensive power amp you may still want to look for a used NOS M-Pulse 600. A friend told me of a demo M-Pulse 600 at a music store in Rossville, Georgia for $1050 (full 5-year warranty). I'm sure that there are others out there. You'll certainly get additional headroom by adding the power amp but I'm not sure how it'll affect your overall tone.

10. One more thing, I'm guessing the solo boost on the M-pulse will pretty much be a waste of a knob with an external power amp right?

11. JOME77

JOME77

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Actually no. I used the solo knob on my M-Pulse 600 as a mute function. Just plug in the foot switch, turn the knob full couter clockwise and press the solo switch when you want to mute your amp. It worked great.

12. But I'm talking about using only the preamp section of the M-Pulse 360 and sending that to the external QSC power amp. Would the Solo knob have any effect on the volume at all or is it hooked directly into the 360's internal power amp?

13. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    I'm not 100% sure about this but I think that the big block 750 has a distortion channel.

You should post seperatley on QSC amps or do a search and see what others in here think of them as well

I tried the 360 against and svt3 pro and an SWR 350x and I feel it's a better amp than either.

Just another thing for any 600 owners does the head come with the foot switch for the eq, compressor and all the other what nots on the head or is it sold seperatley?