Advice on Marcus Miller Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mikefish07, Oct 5, 2003.

1. Mikefish07

Apr 6, 2003
    I just bought a used Fender Marcus Miller Bass without hearing it (no electricity-swap meet). Everything looks great and all original parts but I need help because when I took it home and plugged it in, it hums (60cycle) like crazy. Do I need to buy some shielding or give up and buy new noiseless NLS pickups. It stop humming as long as I keep my hands on the strings or control knobs. I'm bummed, it looked like a great deal. Your expert advice is greatly appreciated.
  2. KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Check the grounding. Make sure there is a good ground connection to the underside of the bridge and to everything else in the control cavity.
    Replace the battery if you haven't yet.
  3. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    What KB said. There are also other factors that may contribute to the hum. It could be your amplifier. I had an amplifier that causes certain basses to hiss really badly but I plug the same basses into a different amplifier with same settings and they're dead quiet.
  4. steviecsg

Aug 16, 2002
    you've aroused my curiosity.

I too have the same problem with my amp- it hisses when i use one bass and when i use that bass with a different amp, its dead quiet.

somehow i have a feeling its something to do with the tweeter attenuation.

what are your views?

5. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    I don't know much about the insides(?) of amps and what their functions are and whatnot. I hope someone will come along and chip in.
  6. Generally, if you touch a metal part of your bass and it quiets down significantly, you are acting as a ground. Hence, the bass probably needs a ground.

I don't know how well, if at all, the Fender M Miller basses are shielded.