Advice on my 1st Bass please

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Drumming Puggy, Aug 13, 2004.

1. Hi guys, As you can tell by my name I play drums. I want to play Bass as my second instrument coz I think they are great!

Should I buy a brand new one or spend the same amount on a 2nd hand but better quality one?

What are the starter packs with the amp & leads like?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
  2. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
  3. Generally, they're crap, but for learning, they're fine. I'd suggest getting one used, then you know it's been played and is set up to BE played. Stuff you get in the starter packs is fresh from some 3rd world factory and the strings are always too high, the neck is bowed and the pickups are just screwed in. You'd need to spend some time to make it usable. If you try to play a bass that's not properly set up, you'll get fatigued easier and frustrated because it's so hard to play.

It's like playing a drumkit where the snare is too high and tilted sideways and the hi-hats are split far apart and you have to step way down to close them.

At least when you buy used you can be (relatively) confident that these issues have already been addressed.

Also, if you decide you don't like it and want to sell it, you can get what you paid, whereas new basses drop 50% in value the second they walk out the door.
  4. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    As Mo' Phat said, try a used one - if you have questions regarding a used bass you've found, tell us; or tell us what's your budget and we can give you some ideas what to look into.

Hope you will enjoy it! ;)
  5. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    At the risk of disagreeing with my compadres above, I've never been comfortable telling a just-starting-out bassist to buy used - at least not without some experienced help. I've seen too many used basses that were traded because of twisted necks/high frets/intermittent electronics, et al. You get more value than when you buy new, that's true - but with the new one, you'd be protected by a warranty. Buy a lemon used, and usually you're stuck.

Do you have an experienced bassist available to help you look the axe over before you buy?
  6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

That would be a great thing and is great advice if you're buying second hand. Used is definitely the way to go, all things being equal

However, let's say all things aren't equal. Then, seriously going to a "mom & pop" store, not one of these huge chains like Guitar Center. A store where the owner is present will typically make sure you go out the door with an instrument that will serve you well because they want your repeat business, unlike a mega-chain store, where it's just some hourly employee who doesn't care if you ever come back to buy again because that guy has no vested interest in the store.

If you decide to go with a "starter package" (personally I think they stink because they usually contain a slick looking bass to dazzle you and a junk amp), I've seen the Hartke starter package rated as the best on the market.