Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Advice on my latest purchase...!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassmancai, Feb 6, 2005.

1. bassmancai

bassmancai

Feb 6, 2005
    I live in the UK and have been after a Jaco signature model for a VERY long time. Way too expensive over here and was going to wait till Easter to get one imported from the US.

But then I saw this on Ebay and my heart skipped a beat, and I nabbed it almost straight away. It's supposedly a MIJ Jaco Pastorius Jazz bass.

But now I've started to have slight doubts. Do Japan even make signature Jaco models? Is this based on the Jaco signature model but without the name? I haven't sent payment yet so if I find out it's false advertising then I'll probably pull out. Advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. Andre_gt7

Andre_gt7

Jan 4, 2005
    Atlanta - GA
    hmm..no real pictures??

3. ShamrayBass

ShamrayBass The Bass Custom Shop

Dec 29, 2004
    Moscow. RUSSIA
    why dont you just buy it DIRECT from Ishibashi? 61,600 Yen

4. bassmancai

bassmancai

Feb 6, 2005
    Yeah but that's not a sig model is it? So is this Fender japan's own take on a MIA Jaco sig bass?

5. ShamrayBass

Dec 29, 2004
    Moscow. RUSSIA
    ah.. you ALREADY bought it... Too bad!

Musicground is somewhat notorious for misleading ads and inflated prices :(

Its certainly not an official JACO signature model, although its obviously jaco-inspired

6. bassmancai

bassmancai

Feb 6, 2005
    Ah stupid impulsiveness!!! Well, maybe I just won't pay for the damn thing. If it's just blatant false advertising (it didn't say Jaco inspired, but that it's an actual Jaco model) then surely I have some sort of protection.

So this is just a standard 60 resissue Japan fretless? I'm waiting for the guy to send me more info about the bass, because I'm still holding out in the hope that this is some sort of Jaco-esque MIJ version of the MIA sig model. What is likely to be the differences between this and the jaco sig model, if this turns out to be just a standard fretless jazz?

Thanks! :help:

7. ShamrayBass

Dec 29, 2004
    Moscow. RUSSIA
    the USA version offers:

Polyester Coated, Slab Cut, Pau Ferro Fingerboard
    Knurled Chrome P-Bass Knobs,
    Special Jaco Tribute Neck Plate

and ya don't get none of THEM on the Japan Version!

So i would say you've been "musicgrounded"... :crying:

8. Matt R Miller

Matt R Miller

Apr 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    your first clue to stay clear would have been "jaco pastorios"

9. ShamrayBass

Dec 29, 2004
    Moscow. RUSSIA
    Of course! you just bought the Jaco PASTRAMI model... :rolleyes:

10. bassmancai

bassmancai

Feb 6, 2005
    Yeah I noticed the dodgy spelling but I let him off that one, it's clear what he was trying to sell (or so i thought!).

Although the fretboard issue is weird, on musicians friend they say the Jaco sig fretless model has a rosewood fingerboard (like this model). The knobs won't make a performance difference and nor will the tribute plate thingy, so is there anything else that would make a major difference?

Argh I can't believe this guy's screwed me on this. :crying:

11. ShamrayBass

Dec 29, 2004
    Moscow. RUSSIA
    Fender USA makes a Jaco Pastorius Jazz Bass® Fretless and Fender Japan makes a "JB62-77FL"

but there is NO SUCH THING as a "1960S Fender Jazz Bass Jaco Pastorios Fretless" so i think you should be able to back out of the sale without risk of any any negative feedback!

File a report with the ebay fraud department, (select "your item wasnt as described") and they will help you sort it out...

the polyester fretboard coating is reputed to be a BIG key to the "Jaco" sound, and its definitely a feature on the Jaco model (MF is mistaken about the rosewood!)

I'm sure the japanese bass is a fine item in its own right, but its certainly NOT what you were led to believe you were buying!

12. bassmancai

bassmancai

Feb 6, 2005
    Cheers dude thanks for all the advice. I think I'll wait to see what his replies to me say, and then I'll go about getting out of it (if this proves to be, as it seems, bogus).

13. ShamrayBass

Dec 29, 2004
    Moscow. RUSSIA
    Sure, the low-key approach is always a good start...

It is indeed "some sort of Jaco-esque MIJ version of the MIA sig model" but i would characterize that auction listing as VERY misleading, so at the very least you should have the option to pull out of the deal without penalty.

Good luck! :)

14. A japanese Jaco sig Jazz....humm
    Strange, watch out!!

Vince

15. RunngDog

RunngDog

Jan 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    I don't know . . . this looks like a standard JB62-77FL, which typically sells on eBay over here for $699 (which, sad for you Brits, typically translates to £699 over there). If that's what it is, I've heard it's quite a nice instrument. It doesn't carry the Jaco signature on the plate, but of course neither did Jaco's own and neither does the CS Jaco Relic.

16. truckin88

truckin88

Oct 18, 2001
    Newburgh, NY
    I thought the jaco was MIJ, but the custom shop version of the JACO was MIA

17. Nah, Fender makes a 1500$ MIA as well as a 4000$ MIA, the latter of which is the custom shop one.

Fender's MIJ "Jaco" isn't a Jaco, but is obviously inspired, and they even mention something about Jaco on the site. It's easy to see how one could confound the two, but if you're really feeling down about it try to back out of the sale becuase it wasn't as advertised.

18. RunngDog

RunngDog

Jan 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Here's a review of what I think you bought:

MIJ Jaco Review

As I said earlier, sounds like a pretty nice instrument.