Advice on my new Dolphin

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Benjibass, Mar 26, 2004.

1. Benjibass

Mar 26, 2004
    I've just bought my first Warwick Dolphin pro 1 4 string (SH) and am very pleased with it. I was hoping some of you knowledgable dudes might be able to help me with a bit of my baby's history?

Have Warick always used MEC pick-ups, I've got bartolini's does this mean they've been replaced?

When did they start making the Dolphin?

Any info welcome cheers !
  2. Sharp

Jan 27, 2002
    Artists Relations, KMI
    ive got a dolphin 5er, im also real happy with it. what do you think of the MEC pups? what did you play before the dolphin? and then the most important part you left out: what's the serial #?

enjoy it-
  3. If you locate the serial number you'll be able to tell the date your bass was made. If it's an older one the month will be the first letter (A=Jan, etc.) and the year will be the last two digits, usually under the serial number. Older Warwicks have no volute. My 1990 Dolphin came with factory-installed Bartolinis.

I also have a later model custom (vintage white) 5-string with LEDs and the MEC pickups.

How are you enjoying it so far?
  4. Benjibass

Mar 26, 2004
    I haven't been able to put the beauty down.

Excuse my ignorance but where do they hide the serial number? starting to think my baby might be hot in more waysthan one !
  5. The serial number is usually on the top edge of the headstock. If you can't find one don't panic though. Custom Warwicks often don't have them. Tell us a bit about it... is it rosewood or ovangkol or perhaps a custom colour? Is there a volute (bump on the back of the neck where it joins the headstock)?
  6. Benjibass

Mar 26, 2004
    Ah there she's hiding :)

G 89 so guess thats July 1989. Which from your previous post would suggest the pick ups are original aswell. I'm guessing Ovangkol is a lot darker then the reddier colour of rosewood?

Veery much appreciate your help mate thanks.
  7. Mmmm. Sounds like you have a really sweet bass there! The rosewood is stunning isn't it? W changed from rosewood to ovangkol around '97 IIRC. One of the reasons was that the rosewood was becoming scarce. Another is that it really needs proper care. Be sure to wax that beauty regularly. It will pay you back with great looks and tone.

The Bartolinis are correct for that year and were installed at the factory. There's a bit more flexibility and character than with the MECs.

PS - glad to help... enjoy!