Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Advice on my planned rack, please

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Silverstar, Oct 3, 2002.

1. Hi !

I'm currently planning to finally get a new, fat rack in probably one year, which will be a hard year for me full of working and saving money :D
    I'm planning the following:

2 x SWR Henry the 8x8 (8x8" +Tweeter)
    3 x SWR Big Ben (1x18")
    Glockenklang Bass Art Preamp

First of all, what do you think of that one ?
    Is the Big Ben capable of reproducing Sub-B notes properly ?
    What are your experiences with the 8x8" cab ?
    What do you recommend for power amps ?
    I want lots of power and headroom cause we usually play on big stages.

Thanks for any input

2. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Get some good ear plugs! ;)

(Sorry, no input on amps, I have no experience of rigs this size...)

3. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    With those speakers, as big of a power amp (wattage-wise) as you can afford - such as one of the larger QSC PLX series amps.

4. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Would you wanna look into a crossover, to keep the lows to the Big Ben and the highs to the Henry?

5. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    Don't forget to budget for a van all your own to haul the stuff. Also, you may want to renew your membership to the gym or better yet, save a little more so you can pay people to move stuff for you. :D

6. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    your going to need a MINIMUM of at least 2 power amps. and unless you are playing arenas you really aren't going to need that much speaker/power. how will you move it all? are you playing with guitarists that use 3or 4 full stacks each? and i'll second the get some good ear plugs...

7. Aren't 3 1x18's a bit too much?

8. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    sweet sassy molassy that's a lot of speaker cabs.

you could probably cut that down to a goliath senior and a big ben and never have any problems being heard, EVER. and you'd only need a minivan to haul it all. the goliath sr has over 2x the power handling of the henry and more sensitivity - so it'd probably be equivilant.

if you did that, the biggest qsc PLX amp you could afford, and a good crossover, you'd be totally set.

9. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    This is just my opinon......but you will never need that much stage rig.......I would downsize the stage rig, and put the rest of the money towards good subs for the P.A. Even the big touring bands only have that much gear on stage as backup or they are dummie cabs for looks;)

10. Yep, I think it should be nice as I listed it, I need power and to answer some question, yes I play in a band with 2 guitarists with 2 fullstacks.
    And since I started bass playing 5 years ago it became the most important thing in my life after my familiy and my girlfriend and on my 18th birthday I'll have to deceide ether to spend 16000 € on a car and stuff or in bass, and I made my decision already...:D :D
    So I'll get a killer rack and some killer basses :)

11. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Dude, that is way too much. A pair of 8x8s and a trio of 1x18s? The PA is your friend, don't be afraid to use it.

12. Ever thought of spending it on some counselling? Or maybe investing in a hearing aid company - that could be a win-win.;)

13. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

first of all...don't even get me started on guitar players and "full stacks." tell each of your guitar players to leave one of their cabs behind and save your money for nice basses.

i've played on as big a stage as they get. PA reaching 30 feet in the air, side fills, subs under the stage...we're talking dave matthews band size stage here, and my goliath senior with 1000w poweramp has NEVER had a problem being heard or not having enough low end. and while i don't have two guitarists with full stacks, i have a drummer, percussionist, keyboard player, 4 horns and guitar player to compete with, all with two monitors a piece. i rarely get a monitor because most places don't have enough, but i never need one. in fact - on the biggest stage i've played on, i was still asked to turn down.

i think - while it is your money and you are surely entitled to spend it however you want - you'd be wasting your money on getting FIVE large, heavy, and inefficient cabs.

14. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    If you have that much money you'll have way more fun by buying your girlfriend something, if you know what I mean.

warwick5s/Jason is right. The rig you're contemplating is way overkill.

Sheesh...whatever happened to just plain ol' saving money?

15. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Holy Crap!! I didn't notice the quantities! I just read it as one of each cab. Geeze!! Who the crap really needs that much amplification?! I'd say go with a Goliath Sr. and maybe a Big Bertha if you really want, but Jason's right...that Goliath Sr. should be MORE than you will need.

16. The point is : I hate PA sound, i just get the best sound out of my speakers and not the PA. So I want to be heard really good without the need of the PA.
    And the I often told the guitarists to mofo leave one of their stacks at home but they don't want to miss it.
    So I have to take the pace :D

17. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    You know, this will only work up to a point, when your gig is big enough you will have to play with such a loud volume that you and the band basically won't hear what you're doing. Not to mention being able to sing in that racket. Loud backlines also create problems with feedback in vocal mics and the drum kit sounds like crap as it's resonating from the bass notes. Do yourself's a favour and lower the volume on stage. You will play and sing better, the sound to the audience will have higher quality, and you will still have your hearing when you retire.

If you don't like your PA sound your money is better spent buying a better and bigger PA system, or getting a better soundman. There will be nothing wrong with your bass sound in a good PA, most likely it will actually sound better than your bass rig.

If it's partly an image thing, do as someone suggested, put up a couple of fake cabinets, at least thery're easier to carry... :)

18. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Now that I've come to grips with the numbers of cabinets specified, I suspect a problem here. Suppose you push these cabinets, not too hard, but to what they're capable of doing. My guess is that the first song you play could well be the last song you'll ever hear. Please don't destroy your hearing - consider less power and cabinets and get the best earplugs you can. One 8x8 with one 18 would be incredibly loud and full if the amp's power was sufficient to drive them. BTW, you may have trouble finding a way to power so many cabinets - I do not believe that standard current could supply your power needs - you'd be only able to power all of these cabinets in the larger stadiums. But I have not checked on the power handling capabilities of the speakers cited.

19. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    while it seems your competing with a lot, its really not that bad. i had a band with the same exact line up. the day i played with a guitar player who was playing with a marshall halfstack with everything dimed, my opinion of loud changed. with my funk band, i could honestly cut it with a 210 and my wt 800. with a 410 and a drums,guitar,singer line up, i was being drowned out pretty bad.

20. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    What the heck are you trying to do........ kill somebody????????

.....I know, you´r planning to commite suicide using a bass rig........ that´s the only thing that make sense.

:Unreal Tournament voice ON:

Medic!!!!!!!!!!!!

:Unreal Tournament voice OFF: