1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Advice on my set up

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TB-Phil, Dec 30, 2017.

Tags:
  1. TB-Phil

TB-Phil

Dec 30, 2017
    Australia
    Hi People, I recently purchased a Gibson 2012 TBird as an upgrade to an old Schecter. I am still very much in the learning end of playing, so I figure someone may be able to help out here. The Tbird plays very nice and Im really liking it, but, Im not impressed with the sound so much! I only have a Fender Rumble 60, which seemed to sound OK with the Schecter, but the TBird sounds gutless in the bass end. I know the Schecter has active Pups and the TB passive so that may well be the difference. I'm not playing at super volumes, just in the lounge (sometimes in a garage with others). I know the Gibson should sound awesome - so is it the bass or is it the amp? Im thinking the amp, but not certain - any thoughts and recommendations for a amp that will make the bird sound superb would be appreciated. (I only have a 2 door coupe so nothing to big!

2. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    T-birds are weird basses and sometimes an acquired taste, but lack of bottom is not a complaint heard often. They are known for huge, not so subtle botton end, sorta like throwing a watermelon in a swimming pool.
    Try playing with you EQ, cause the output may seem a little anemic after an active bass.

3. TB-Phil

TB-Phil

Dec 30, 2017
    Australia
    Cheers Paulabass. I have tried playing with the eq but still not found decent settings.

4. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    Have you tried different strings ? What do you use on the Schecter ? Maybe you have already checked this but for me a lot of the tone I like comes from fresh strings .

5. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz Banned

May 26, 2010
    I'm not a fan of active basses, but I'd guess that if you've been playing an active bass for a while a passive bass might sound pretty uninspiring.

6. TB-Phil

TB-Phil

Dec 30, 2017
    Australia
    I have some new strings coming. I ordered the DL Black Beauties (I like the l black look!), so will see what they are like - I think the strings on the bass were pretty old but not played a lot. the TB is in absolute mint condition.
    Any thoughts on a good combo for nice clean low dow grunt such as a hartke 210 or ampeg BA210

7. Jackcrow

Jackcrow Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2017
    ND
    If you had the bass knob full on with the Schecter, a passive bass is definitely going to sound “thinner”. As a guy that used to have the bass cranked on an active Warwick all the time, it definitely takes some getting used to.

8. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz Banned

May 26, 2010
    Do you have another passive bass you could run through the same rig? Maybe try a friend's passive bass for comparison?

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
    Kollektor likes this.
  9. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone Banned

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    I have never tried either a Fender Rumble amp or a Gibson T-Bird, but even if the Fender Rumble amps are generally fairly highly praised among TalkBass users they are in the cheaper end of the spectrum too, so I'd have to guess that it is the amp that is the problem.

Though be sure you have the EQ on the amp set right, messing with it might be able to perform wonders for your tone.

As for new amp suggestion I guess it would be a bit early for that, not having found the source of your problem for certain yet.

10. StraffordMike

StraffordMike

Apr 25, 2015
    Hey! As a newly perverted, aah, I mean, converted member of the Thunderbird Club I recommend you head there yourself. They are an acquired taste and they definitely have their own eq preferences, therefore I can't leave you to the mercy of general population or they'll have you posting it on CL in no time. Head over to the Thunderbird Club.

ThinCrappyTone likes this.
  11. Check your pickup clearance. If setup was spotty, and the pickups are too low it's gonna muddy it up. I've played a couple Thunderbirds, and haven't found them to be wanting at all. Also make sure you're using the "high gain" or "passive" input on the amp. A low gain or active input has a...jeez, what a 12 dB pad built in?

I just teched up a bass a couple weeks ago for a friend of a friend. Neck had way too much relief, but the real problem was he said it sounded dull and muddy. Pickups were dropped way too low into the body.

George Himmel, cchorney and Korladis like this.
  12. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco/HELIX user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
    You're not gonna like this suggestion.
    Sell the Gibson and get a new Epi VINTAGE TB with the chrome pickups & hardware.
    Played 64 T-Birds for over a decade and the newer ones never lived up to being good IMO.
    Received a new Epi T-Bird 2 weeks ago and it's VERY close to a '64 T-Bird AND the pickups are even better(better than Gibson IMO).
    Try one if at all possible. Maybe you'll sell the Gibson, buy an Epi, and have $$$$ leftover or use it to buy another amp.
    Dec2017TBVsb.

Tvrtko, Korladis and Lvjoebass like this.
  13. Hounddog409

Hounddog409

Oct 27, 2015
    ohio
    Try a different amp. Are you close to a shop? You should be able to bring the Gibson and plug into various amps

14. Hounddog409

Hounddog409

Oct 27, 2015
    ohio
    I know I am in the minority here, but I have a Rumble and cannot find a tone I like out of it.

I will stand by my other post and bring the TBird to a shop and try different amps.

15. TB-Phil

TB-Phil

Dec 30, 2017
    Australia
    good idea - I think I can get hold go one - thanks

16. Member8675309

Member8675309 Banned

Aug 19, 2017
    Nashville, TN
    The Black Beauties may sound aggressive on that bass which should make for a pretty cool setup. I had them on a Gibson SG, they sounded good with the old fingers, and if you dig in with a pick they sound fantastic. They are one of the only rounds, if not the only round, I’d consider trying again on the SG.
    I can’t remember how the bottom end was, unfortunately. But, good strings.

17. TB-Phil

TB-Phil

Dec 30, 2017
    Australia
    I thought it was set up pretty well, but I like your ideas - I will get it o a pro and have them do s full set up I think. Pitty you don't live my way (australia!)

18. TB-Phil

TB-Phil

Dec 30, 2017
    Australia
    Ha - my last name is Gibson - so I reckon that won't happen! I've wanted one for years so I will make it work!

Spidey2112 likes this.
  19. TB-Phil

TB-Phil

Dec 30, 2017
    Australia
    I do play with a pick most of the time while I get my fingers trained (used to play guitars most of my existence) so looking forward to the Drs!

Member8675309 likes this.
  20. bumperbass

bumperbass Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2012
    Most players starting out play with too much low end in their EQ. I'll bet you had the bass EQ cranked on the active Schecter, and you're used to that sound and maybe that's why the TBird sounds thin to you. Those humbuckers on a TBird have enough of a low end, and I've never heard of this problem with a TBird.

mcnach and Jackcrow like this.