1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Advice on neck repair

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by crayzee, Mar 16, 2009.

1. crayzee

crayzee

Feb 12, 2009
    Mississauga, ON
    Thinking of picking up the bass that comes with the below damage...

[​IMG]

I realize that this isn't the best photo, but I was just wondering how much I should be expecting to pay to repair the damage? She's an oldie and I don't know how easy it'd be to find a replacement neck. Any other advice would rock. Thanks!

2. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    That looks like a clean break with the grain. I've successfully repaired a few instruments with similar breaks using the right glue and clamps and a jig made up to hold everything together while the glue dried. The right glue is important. I prefer using the 2 part urea formalheyde boatbuilding glues for this, over Titebond or other carpenters type glues.

A good tech should be able to do the job for less than $100. At least I wouldn't charge more than that if I did it and it truly is a clean break that doesn't have a botched repair job done previously. Take it to someone locally that has a good rep and get him to look at it and tell you what he plans to do to repair it. Then check back here with the details and we can debate it to death.

Hopefully it'll be an easy job and cheaper than trying to find a replacement neck. What bass is it?

3. Hi.

That's a bit more unusual place to a Gibson to break, but then the neck isn't mahogany, but maple?

I'm firm believer of the old saying that there's only two kinds of Gibson necks: Repaired and the ones that will require repairing.

Unfortunately it seems that the crack is all the ay to the FB so the possibility of a bent or partially detached FB is more than likely. In that case it's best to remove and reglue the FB for first class repair.

Also a bent truss rod is a possibility.

I'd say that $100 is a bit low for what the price would be in here, even if the FB doesn't have to come off.

Can You get better pics?

Regards
    Sam

4. crayzee

crayzee

Feb 12, 2009
    Mississauga, ON
    Thanks for the replies, guys. From the seller, he said that the neck is nice and straight and that the FB is intact. I was also thinking about the truss rod being bent but from the other pics I've seen, the neck doesn't look like it's got a big kink in it.

It's actually an old Gibson Grabber that's been seriously mistreated. I thought it'd be fun to try to bring 'er back to life. That's why I'd rather fix it as finding the proper replacement neck could be pretty tough.

I'll work on getting some more shots of the crack.

5. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
    That appears to be a miraculously clean break - or the scarf joint failed. If it is the latter it is a piece of cake. If it is the former then you would want more details.

Perhaps you will get better advice in Set Up & Repair.

6. Basschair

Basschair .............. Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    Not to say he would get better/worse advice in Setup & Repair, but he's actually welcome to post repair questions here as well. Someone reminded me the other day that the LC's description in its header is as follows:

Luthier's Corner Discussion on instrument building, repair, and materials

7. crayzee

crayzee

Feb 12, 2009
    Mississauga, ON
    Looking at some photos of other Grabbers, I'd have to say that it definitely looks like the scarf joint failed. It's right along that line. Now, I just have to see if I'll be able to snag it. :ninja:

I'd post it up in S&R but I don't wanna spam multiple sections with the same post.

8. Basschair

Basschair .............. Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca

No worries: you're good posting it here :).

9. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    It does appear that the break is along the joint, but that doesn't necessarily mean its going to be an easy or inexpensive repair. How much is the seller asking? I only ask, because for me, if its more than a couple of hundred, I'd be passing on it...

10. crayzee

crayzee

Feb 12, 2009
    Mississauga, ON
    So I ended up passing on this one. It was up on ebay and I think the winner paid $385 for it. I was only gonna go as high as $175 anyway. I just kinda feel bad that it'll probably be split up for parts as that's what the seller was saying most of his messages were about. It would've been nice to see it brought back to life. Oh well...

We've lost another old beauty of a Grabber... :(