Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Advice on new amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BlacksHole, Jul 18, 2002.

1. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    I just bought an Avatar 2x10 and a 1x15, both at 8 ohms and I also want to upgrade my amp. I am short on cash and probably shouldn't be doing this, but I am proceeding despite my financial situation. I play in a fairly loud classic rock band ATM, and I need good clean power that will allow me to cut through 2 guitars, supply a strong foundation and play solos.
    This is my dilemma: I have a source for getting a virtually new QSC PLX1602 for a bit over $500. I also can get an Ampeg B-5R for about $550.
    The advantages of the QSC are:
    1. Power
    2. 2 rack space
    3. 21 lbs.
    But I still need to buy a preamp. I figure I can get a used pre on ebay for $200 or less if I don't go too fancy, making my total outlay a bit over $700 (ouch), and my spacing needs at 3 rack spaces and about 30 lbs.
    The Ampeg:
    1. Has a cool octaver built in
    2. 2 rack space
    3. 20+ lbs.
    But the power (at 4 ohms total) is either 340 or 350, depending on which Ampeg ad you read. Ampeg has a problem with consistency in their ads as they list this amp as 32 lbs in one place and 20 lbs in another as well.
    I like the Ampeg solid state sound, but I don't know if this unit will really have sufficient power. However, the B4R would probably run me more like $900, but it would also have a biamp feature. I currently use a biamped rig and I like biamping, so this also favors the QSC option as many pres have a crossover, although this also rules out a number of pres as well. I also probably will have to go with an old Yamaha PB1 or perhaps an ADA MB1 to keep the pre under $200 and still have biamping capability (and I wouldn't get the built in octaver, but I do have one anyway). I like the idea of getting down to just 2 rack spaces and low weight for the whole shebang, but the relatively low power, lack of biamp capability, and strange distortion channel on the Ampeg are concerns. Any advice?

2. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    id go with a power/preamp combination.. oh wait.. i did :D. look at carvin power amps as well. you can get a DCM1000 or a 1500 for less than $500.. i would get the DCM1500 bridged at 4ohms its 1500 watts.. that would be plenty of power for you..and you could look into getting like a peavey max preamp, thats a pretty neat preamp right there, brand new they aren't expensive, used they are really inexpensive..

3. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    I believe a Carvin DCM100 is just under $400. Less power and more weight than the QSC, plus some reliability issues. Don't get me wrong, I like Carvin gear, but I have seen where some people have experienced problems with their amps (I have 2 Carvin basses). I just figured that I can't go wrong with QSC, but the extra $100 in cost is definitely a factor, so now I've got another option to consider. Also, do they still make the Peavey Max? I thought that was discontinued, but I have no info on this preamp.

4. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Doesn't anybody have a suggestion other than get a Carvin?

5. Ionic Eye

Ionic Eye

May 13, 2002
    Columbus, OH
    Hey, check out the "I exchanged the GK400RB-III for Hartke 3500" thread a bit below yours (as of now, anyway) by I_am_Rage. He has an Avatar 4x10 and an Avatar 1x15, and he sounded VERY impressed by the Hartke, for less than $500. So check the thread out, maybe ask Rage about it. Peace... Matt

6. Sup, that's me he's talking aobut. :p

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=53432

That's the thread Ionic Eye was referring to. I did buy the Hartke 3500 for my Avatars and i think it sounds great. It's loud (350 at 4ohms). I play in a loud band and the master is on 2-3. The EQ really helps in finding the best tone for you. It is defiantly the best feature I've ever had to play around with. You should check it out and if you don't think the 350w are loud enough then go for a Hartke 5000 or 7000. Good Luck in what you do.

7. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Thanks, I have been following this thread as well. BTW, did you also audition the Ampeg B2R and B5R? I haven't used a Hartke, but it was on my short list to try out. I did like the Ampegs, but was quite concerned about them being loud enough. You have more spkr area than I do as I got the 2x10, and that will make a difference, but not an incredible difference. I don't know of any local special deals on the Hartke's aATM, but I do know that the ~$550 for a new Ampeg B5R is a good price and ~$500 for a new QSC is a great price. Do you know if the Hartke 5000 or 700 offer a choice of mono bridged or biamp or if they're only biamped?

8. At GC by me they had a used Amped B2R (350w i believe) for like $450. I didn't try it out. I heard they are pretty good heads. If you have chance you probably should. I was stuck on trying the Hartke so that's why i passed it up. I don't know anything about the Hartke 5000 and 7000 sorry to say. If you do a search i'm sure you can find some information on the heads that you are looking for.

later

9. misterk73

misterk73

Apr 11, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    I've got a B2-based Ampeg combo. I like it a lot and have no reason to think the head alone wouldn't yield similar results.

10. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    As I said earlier, I like biamping, which makes the bigger Hartke's interesting. I also liked the sound of the B5R, and I like the 5 year warrantee. It's also pretty light which is cool, I hate carrying the gear back in the house at 4 am or so. I believe the place that'll give me the good price on the ampeg doesn't sell Hartke, but I guess GC probably carries them both, so perhaps I can make some comparisons there.

11. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Do you consider your combo real loud? Is yours the 2x10 or 1x15 version?

12. I have the Hartke 7000, which uses 2 rack spaces, has both Tube and Solid-State preamps, full graphic EQ, biamp or 2-channel-same-output, 350W per channel into 4 ohms. It's not that light, though - I estimate about 35#, which is the only reason I have for thinking about getting rid of it. I would recommend it otherwise.

I'm looking at the new FISHMAN Pro-EQ Platinum Bass preamp ($149 on Musician's Friend) and a Stewart World 1.2 amp - but who knows - I may just keep my Hartke!!

I currently BiAmp thru an Eden CXM-110 and an Acme B-2W.

13. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Now that would be a light and small amp set-up. It seems to me that they're have been discussions of these real small pream-ps here and the idea that they don't really put out enough to feed into a good power amp has been espoused. I don't know if this fishman falls into that category, but the pic didn't appear to be AC powered, so I'd have my concerns. I also though about the Stewart, but the local store, Chuck Levin's, said that they get a lot of returns on these, so I crossed it off my list for reliability issues. My son-in =-law also worked as an amp tech for several years and he also said that Stewart has a higher incidence of faulty units, while QSC has virtually none. BTW, can you get real loud with your current set-up? Doesn't sound like much spkr area to me.

14. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Although I liked the tone of the Ampeg better, I just bought a Hartke 5000. It is much louder than the Ampeg and despite being very susceptible to hum, it is a good sounding amp. I can't believe the difference in volume between the Hartke and the Ampeg. The Hartke is much louder. I first tried a new Hartke 3500 against the Ampeg, and I liked the basic tone of the Ampeg B5R/SVT II/B2R better, but even though these were all at approximately the same wattage, the Hartke was louder. Incredibly so. But the tone was still not as nice. Then I came across a used Hartke 5000 for about $350, and I bought it and used it at a gig the next night. It hums, but this was a loud gig, so it was not a problem. It kicked. The other band members were really appreciative of my sound, except I was a bit too loud :D
    Also I had a bit too much low end, but I haven't dialed the amp in quite yet. Or for that matter, the speakers as I just bought them as well.