Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Advice on New Gear...Ampeg, SWR, GK, Experienced players post opinions Please

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by burtonisalive, Mar 19, 2006.

1. I am trying to do as much research into gear before I buy it. Anyway, I am interested in purchasing one of three Heads that are in my price range

GK 1001RB-2 700/50 Watt Bi Amp
    Ampeg SVT 3-Pro
    SWR 550X Head

Also, I am looking into a couple of different 410s

Ampeg SVT 410 HLF (4 Ohms)

Any advice? Best pairing ideas? Any other suggestions? Thanks.

2. TJmccreedy2183

TJmccreedy2183

Mar 2, 2006
    I use to have a Ampeg Svt 4pro and i recently got rid of it to buy a SWR 550x. even though i've never tried a GK before i really perferred the sound on the SWR for the reason that i was going up against two loud guitarist and the SWR just cut through perfectly with enough clarity and warmth. It was exactly what i was looking for man. Right now i'm running it througha Ampeg 410HE 8 ohms and it sound killer so i can just imagine how it would sound like with the HLF. But in the end buddy it all depends on the type of sound you're looking for cause all three of those amps have 3 totally diferent sounds and styles. Hope this helps man. let me know. Thanks

3. sedan_dad

sedan_dad Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Mudsock,Ohio
    I have a SVT 3p and really like it.It seems to have a way range of tones.I haven't run out of power.
    I use a lot of low end in a rocking blues band.
    In all fairness I do not have any first hand experance with the other models you mention.I have tried the SWR 350x but ended up buying the Ampeg.

4. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    I've played lower wattage versions of two of the heads, the GK400 and the SWR350. I have the GK, but the SWR sounded good. The enhance circuit seems to drain a lot of power from the SWR, but both were good heads.

5. I've always thought that an ampeg played on it's own sounds like mud, but when played in a rock band it has a huge presence.

6. The Ampeg 410HLF is godly. The only thing holding you back is its size.

I don't have experience with the 3 pro, but doesn't it have the same pre as the B2R? If it does, it has a good old school sound, and pairs well with the HLF. Very flexible and versatile with the 9 band EQ (does the 3 pro have this?).

If you want a B2R I'm selling one...

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=236903 :ninja:

7. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    What type of music are you playing? What type of tone are you after? For what I play I'd go with the Ampeg rig because that's going to sound the most like what I want to hear for the type of music I play. But that's just me.

8. Yeah, the suggestions you listed are all great for different applications. Ampeg is more old school, while SWR and GK are more bright and clear sounding. What tone are you trying to get?

9. IMO, you should skip those three if you're buying new. Those look like the standard Guitar Center trio. Instead, look at these, also in your price range.

1) Aguilar AG500SC - runs about $960
    2) Thunderfunk TFB-550- runs about $1,100 and worth saving the extra cash for
    3) Eden WT405 or WT550- Run between 900 and 1200 depending on model

It's well worth the extra wait if you have to save up to get these.

10. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I have a 4PRO which shares a bit of commonality with the 3 PRO. I like the versatile connection options and the 2 channel feature.

I also have an SWR X series amp and I like how it sounds.

11. I am heavily influenced by Cliff Burton, Tim Commerford of Rage/Audio, 70s funk/psychedelia bass, punk/alt. I am looking for killer bottom end with mids that will cut through distorted guitarists and highs that will be accentuated enough to not combat the guitarists. I want to fill the bottom and mid-range and make people groove to me. #@*! 6-Stringers! Just kidding. I use a Boss Delay DD-6, Boss Flanger, Crybaby Bass Wah, Boss Overdrive, and a Tech 21 Sansamp DI to sweeten things up. Right now I play through an Ampeg BA-115, and it sounds great, but I will need more power for gigging.

All of your suggestions sound great, and I will continue my research before I buy. If this helps you think of anything that will solidify your suggestions, then by all means, send them through.

By the way, do any of you have a Morley Power Boost Wah? How does it sound? Better than the Crybaby?

Thanks!

12. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    This is the best advice on buying an amp that I have ever seen here. Logical and well grounded.

13. Sorry syciprider. I meant it though. I feel that there are much better amps for the money, and you won't find them in most Guitar Centers. I feel the amps he's looking at are over priced and over represented because Guitar Center tends to stock Ampeg/GK/SWR pretty exclusively in my experience (NY and PA). It gives the impression that these three amps are really all that's out there in the 800-1000 head range, and as we know, that's just not true.

14. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    If you like the way your Ampeg combo sounds, I would look into an Ampeg head for your rig. However, you may experience headroom issues with the 3-Pro. I have played through one a few times and it really doesn't have a ton of juice. Maybe look into a Ampeg preamp with a separate power amp? I would go with Avatar cabs, but you may want to consider the 212 or a 210 and 115 if you play a 5 string.

15. +1 to that!

From my experience, and having gone through "If it says 'insert favourite brand name here' then it MUST be good!" enough times, I can safely say that the "big names" aren't necessarily the way to go. You may get the sound you're looking for, but at what cost? I've spent way too much money on gear I thought I needed, and not enough time checking out forums like this, that will help guide you more towards finding what's best for you.

That being said, try and find some of the alternative brands mentioned above. You may be pleasantly surprised, and may save some money as well!

But don't be put off if you end up sticking with the thoughts of the SVT-3......they surely aren't a bad choice, I played an SVT-4 for a few years and loved every minute of it! Just wish I knew then what I know now........:D

16. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I think he was being sarcastic...

17. PotsdamBass8

PotsdamBass8 Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2005
    The three heads listed all have their own unique voice that certain people love. You really have to try them to figure out which will be your favorite.

18. Indeed. :D

19. DAcat

DAcat

Jun 14, 2005
    Iowa
    If you want a couple other suggestions on good sounding rigs that will project you through the mix ...I'd strongly suggest looking at Schroeder cabinets-if you play loud, a 410 will amaze you at what it can put out (probably the loudest 410 cab,and its small in size and weight-built like a tank with a 10 year warranty)and a couple more amps to consider are the Yorkville XS800H and the new Carvin1500 head(this last one I have'nt played personally but its been getting good reviews around here lately)-both are resonalbly priced...good luck and get out there :D and try some more stuff outside Guitar *&%#@....Peace....DAcat...:cool: