Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Advice on new rig.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jiant., Jul 3, 2004.

1. jiant.

jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    I'm wanting to upgrade from my 2x10 cab(4 ohm) to a 2x10 and 1x15(both 8). I don't have the most cash in the world, but I am willing to spend a decent amount for a new rig. I currently use the Behringer BX3000T head(300w @ 4 ohms). Also, would this route be any better than getting a 4x10? Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. Char-Lee

Char-Lee

Aug 29, 2002
    Spokane, WA
    Hello, I recently went from an 8x10 configuration to a 2x10 and 2x12. This setup has been amazing I have been able to achieve the exact full range sound I was looking for but couldn't get with the 10s. Definetly having the tens in the setup is necessary for the clarity and punch, while have a bigger speaker for the bottom i.e 15s or 12s will give you the rumble and authority to deliver the ground shaking bass. A single 4x10 should also be good but I would look for one with ports. Ampeg makes some killer stuff around the $400-$500 range or you could also go Mesa Boogie but that will cost you alittle bit more, but let me tell you I have never heard a better sounding 1x15 then the new Mesa cab. I work in the bass dept of my local music store so I get hear anything and everything the two above manufactures have been my favorite but I'm sure there is some other great stuff out there.
    Let me know if I can be of further assistance

Thanks
    Charlee

3. jiant.

jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    Ok, I've been looking at lots of Ampeg stuff. Since my amp does 300w @ 4 ohms, do both cabinets need to at least be 300w rms, or could they be 200w rms?

4. Char-Lee

Char-Lee

Aug 29, 2002
    Spokane, WA
    Yeah you could get two cabs that are 200watts RMS, because your head will run 150watts to each cab. If you have higher power handling cabs then you play louder and have more head room. The SVT serious are great all around cabs I would look into those. The BXT is another series Ampeg offers and at my store I have the 210 and 115 setup however they are 4ohm cabs so you would have to have a head that went to 2ohms to power them.

Char-lee