1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Advice on new rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DRafalske, Oct 7, 2010.

1. DRafalske

DRafalske

Nov 6, 2008
    Hebron, KY
    So I posted on here a few weeks ago about how my new GK MB115 (which I bought primarily to use for practice) has inspired me to lighten up (and upgrade in the process) my main gigging rig. I'm having trouble making the final choices so I thought I'd send this out to TB Land and see what y'all think.
    Key here is versatility and light weight. I'm leaning heavily toward the Genz Shuttle 9.0 for a head, and I'm thinking 2 212 cabs (8ohm). What I can't decide on are which cabs.
    My band primarily plays bars and some outdoor shows in the summer. We're like any other bar band, classic rock, southern rock, some more modern covers, couple 80s hits, ya know... whatever will get them up and dancing. I don't always have PA support so need to be prepared for that.
    I'm expecting to have a budget of about a grand for cabs, and of course I'll be watching the used market to save money there if possible.
    I'm really intrigued by the GK MBE Series. Small footprint, exceptionally light. Excellent price! But I hear they're lacking in the bottom end. I'm thinking with 4 12s, I may not notice.
    Also near the top of the list are Avatar cabs. Heavier than the MBE's, but still much lighter than what I'm using now. Again a good price point. Great reviews here on TB.
    The GK NEO Series look nice as well, but are a little more than I want to spend (although not enough to completely disregard them).
    What else deserves a look?

For comparison, I'm currently playing through a Nemesis NA650 into a Genz 410STD and GK 410BLX. No complaints on the tone and it's plenty loud. The head is rackmounted with a Korg DTR1 and Furman power supply. Total weight is well over 200#... no fun at 3am.

Thanks
    Dave

2. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021