Advice on new small amp purchase

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PLAbass, Mar 28, 2004.

1. PLAbass

Mar 24, 2004
    I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a good sounding, smaller amp. I'd mainly be using it in my room for practice, some recording and a few smaller club shows (no drums). I was looking at an older 60's Ampeg Portaflex which seems very cool for around $600 but is there anything else that sounds as warm for about the same cost?
  2. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    For what it's worth,

I love Polytones. Have an 80's mini S15B and a 2001 mini brute V. Neither have the disgusting distortion knob they finally x'd after 20 years. Mostly considered jazz amps but they work for anything. Most players never even heard of 'em let alone played one.

As for Portaflex, I emailed a guy about a Poly on ebay and it turned out to be the guy that designed the Portaflex who was jettisoning his gear due to old age. So that may tell you something about them in relation to the Portaflex.

Polytone is out of Hollywood, Ca. No website. Designer was an accordian player. They've made an incredible array of amps and gear over the years, even a bass.

Great amp for guitar as well.