Advice on overdrive pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jthynne, Jul 23, 2009.

1. jthynne

jthynne

Jul 22, 2009
    Anyone got any advice!

I would love a fulltone but can't justify the cost

I recently sold the 2 OD pedals that I had as they didn't cut the mustard - a Trace Elliot dirt box - not enough low end and a Hau Rustride - perfect if you want unrestrained and uncontrolable buzz saw distortion!

What i want is that Jane's Addiction kinda over drive

James

2. TheMutt

TheMutt Guest

Apr 28, 2007
    Not exactly the most familiar with Jane's Addiction, but could you tell us particularly which song you are trying to get the sounds from?

On lower gain settings, a VT Bass might work. The HBE Hematoma is still quite liked around here, although it is a bit darker sounding. The "Polish Love" soared to absurd fame and glory, and has been discarded by all but a few. Just some suggestions. :)

3. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    Earth
    There is a pedal that sounds very similar to the Fulltone Bass Drive that is available for mere peanuts - The Digitech Bad Monkey! If cost is a major factor that's what I recommend trying first. Also the new Danelectro Cool Cat (eg the Overdrive and Transparent Overdrive) pedals are pretty good and you should be able to find them locally to try out. There's also a few decent Boss pedals you could pick up used like the DS-1 and Blues Driver.

4. castleshade13

castleshade13 Inactive

Apr 26, 2009
    Aberdeen, Scotland, UK
    i have a dusty old BOSS bass overdrive,

its works really well, gets a janes addiction-ish sound

never use it any more mind you haven't used it for months

but this got it out my dusty pedal board

don't use FX much now

5. I <3 my Bad Monkey.

I also seem to be one of the few people that likes my ODB-3... but i'm more into the noisy shoegaze side of dirt than the fuzzy doomy side...

6. Tech 21 XXL Bass Edition for all your overdrive needs.

7. C741

C741

Feb 14, 2009
    USA
    I tried to use the ODB-3 for a while, but it was just too over the top for me. I picked up a VooDooLab SparkleDrive about a week or so ago
    and am really liking it for low gain overdrive, I think it's more usable for me.
    Still want to try the XXLb.

8. I love my Polish Love and my VT individually, and the Love > Vt is a killer combo IMO. However, that's two pedals as opposed to one.

9. Hookus

Hookus

Oct 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    I built a Fulltone Clone and never looked back.

10. jthynne

jthynne

Jul 22, 2009
    if only I had the ability to build my own :)

any one got any experience of the ProCo rat 2?

11. akaTRENT

akaTRENT

Jan 10, 2009
    New Jersey
    I say save up, buy the good stuff. and end your search for tone happy :)

12. Fullmetal

Fullmetal

Oct 18, 2008
    United kingdom
    Although it isn't an overdrive pedal specifically, maybe try checking out the Tech 21 VT Bass. It's more a tube simulator, but you can add some drive to it and get a nice crunchy tone. I'm planning on buying one to use as an overdrive.