Advice on P/J options for a custom jazz?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Pete Greaves, Apr 21, 2017.

1. Pete Greaves

Pete Greaves

May 1, 2014
    OK so I have three choices for a bass I am building. Body is Swamp Ash semi-hollow jazz 4 string routed for P/J (with a F-Hole). Neck will be maple on maple 34”. I have lots of random pickups lying around, so I have three choices of pups. Eventually I will be putting a Sadowksy preamp in.

Option 1 – Bartolini 9Jl1 (Jazz) and 8SU (P)

Option 2 – Antiquity II P/J

Option 3 – Klein 62 Epic Pbass, Fender deluxe noiseless stack Jazz.

I could also for option 3 use a a number of other PBass pickups I have that would match aesthetically – SGD Lutherie, Fender Pure Vintage ‘63, Fender Pure Vintage ‘58, American Standard Deluxe, Nordstrand NP4, Lakland Neo.

Also have a spare Dimarzio noiseless Jazz.

Thoughts?

2. Growlmonkee

Growlmonkee

Jan 30, 2013
    Florida, U.S.
    That's 9 different P bass pickups, and a preamp that will entirely change the character of any of them, hope that helps.

3. Pete Greaves

Pete Greaves

May 1, 2014
    OK with hindsight a dumb thread, so lets rephrase this. Anyone have any experienceon P/J pups on a semi hollow bass?

4. Growlmonkee

Growlmonkee

Jan 30, 2013
    Florida, U.S.
    I have no experience with a semi hollow Jazz, but have an idea that might eliminate some choices, with the preamp in the picture, I would stick to noise free pickups, (2 humbuckers), single coil hum often gets worse with a preamp, and even if it has adjustable gain, I'd probably not pick high output pickups to go with the Sadowsky preamp, it's gonna come down to what sounds best with the preamp, the Barts are known to do well with a preamp, I'm not a fan of the Fender N3's, but Fender sure sold a lot of basses with those and a preamp in them. Some of those pickups are voiced to sound really good in a passive bass, unless someone with a matching setup chimes in, the end result with the preamp is unknown. the Antiquity II's are made to sound like a really good vintage Fender, in a passive system, are premium priced, and rightly so, they wouldn't be my pick, to go with a modern preamp.

5. testing1two

testing1two Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    The general rule of thumb is that a vintage output P pickup matches best in terms of output with a jazz pickup that is overwound by 5-10%. The Fralin hum-cancelling jazz pickup works great in this application even if you don't order one that's overwound. They match well with any of the vintage spec P-pickups you like (Fralin, Lollar, Klein, Nordstrand, Delano, SD Antiquity, Novak, Aero, etc.) and the Sadowsky preamp only makes things better.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 3, 2021