Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Advice on painting my bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Halo, Apr 30, 2004.

1. Halo

Halo

Apr 29, 2004
    What paint should I use for the fretboard??? :crying:

2. appler

appler Guest

none? :eek:

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Yeah, you don't paint the fretboard. It'll just get chewed of by the strings. What kind of refinish job are you putting on your bass?

4. megiddo

megiddo

Apr 5, 2003
    Houston, Texas
    I'm going to assume that you're not a troll looking to get a rise out of this MB, so...........painting your fretboard is not a good idea. If it needs to be refinished take it to a professional and get their opionion, you may have other issues to deal with as well. I'm pretty much a newbie myself and have found people on this board very helpful. Welcome to the board and don't screw up your bass. :D

5. rudetay

rudetay

Sep 19, 2003
    I would definatly not recommend painting the fretboard, I have never seen a production bass with a painted fretboard, if that tells you anything.

But, at a local music store thye had a Jazz bass that the entire thing was painted in a Lake Placid Blue type color. The entire thing aside from the bridge, tuners, pickups, and the acctuall frets. It was done with automotive paint and looked very durable, looked awesome to me.

6. Meehaw

Meehaw

Jun 11, 2003
    Gdynia, Poland
    Not to mention the 10th Anniversary Billy Sheehan sig. :)
    great looks. :bassist:

7. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    Yeah, I echo the thoughts of the previous owners. The only time I've seen it pulled off was on older 70's Fenders when they would 'paint' maple boards with a real thick clear coat of poly. I wouldn't recommend doing this though (especially on anything but a Maple board), because it will eventually wear off.

HOWEVER, if you were to do this I wouldn't use anything but poly...stay away from laquers. I love laquer, but it's not made to hold up to the abuse that you're gonna throw at it having it on a finger board.

Check out www.reranch.com they do all of the Fender colors very very well. Not sure if they'll have what you are looking for, but their staff is really helpful and their finishes are AWESOME! All of the stuff comes in a spray can so you don't have to worry about having a paint gun or booth.

Good luck and keep us posted :)

8. Don't paint the fretboard. Period.

9. anthonyboston

anthonyboston

Apr 29, 2004
    boston
    That is a great palindrome. Kudos.