Advice on Patitucci's and Reid's DVDs

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by Nivaca, Jun 15, 2005.

1. Nivaca

Jan 8, 2005
  2. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    I haven't seen Patitucci's but I have Rufus' DVD and it's great. I really like it. Not only does he offer some good tips (from basic on up) but there's also a concert with a trio. I've watched it several times. It gave me some ideas about practicing. I would recommend Rufus' DVD.
  3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I second what Freddels said - you can just watch the Rufus DVD as an intimate concert video or as instruction - it also works as a good companion to his book - this thread just reminded me to go watch it again!! :)

Didn't know about the Patitucci one - I shall look out for that in the UK - a definite future purchase for me!
  4. well worth getting the pattitucci dvd,have learnt
    a lot from this one.covers lots of areas
    a must have-havent seen the the rufus one though!
  5. musicman5string

musicman5string Banned

Jan 17, 2006
    I picked up the Eddie Gomez and john Patitucci videos from Gage the other day; both are great.....the Patitucci seems a little long, and both him and Gomez do not always directly answer the questions being asked from the audience, however it's definitely worth it for their playing alone.
  6. Andy Allen

Andy Allen "Working Bassist"

Aug 31, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    There's an Eddie Gomez one? I'll have to get it. I have both the Rufus Reid and Patitucci DVDs and they have definitely been worth it for me - they have stood repeated viewings and I learn something (or many somethings) every time.

If you can only get one I think the Rufus Reid DVD has more comprehensive content, and has the "concert" option which I still watch quite often just to enjoy the music .
  7. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    I've found this is true of just about every jazz musician I've EVER seen do a Q&A. Yes, there are some that are very direct and experienced educators, but I just think there's a common thread running through many major players who just can't make a point. IMO, Kirk McDonald (Canadian tenor player, educator at Humber College) is one of the worst for this I've seen. Great player, and what he presents is really great stuff -- but the man just can't answer a question.

I've got the Rufus Reid DVD -- this is a great buy. I've watched it multiple times. I'll have to pick up the Patitucci one soon...any news on what it covers?
  8. musicman5string

musicman5string Banned

Jan 17, 2006

First he talks ALOT about time and begins by talking about the 2 feel. Then he walks a bunch. "Stella By Starlight" is the song used as an example. That's probably about half an hour right there.
    He also talks about soloing alot and plays some amazing stuff over "Alone Together".
    There are alot of topics covered, like set up, sound, and most importantly (and impressively) ear training. John has a gold ear; he's not afraid to show that off on this DVD.
    He also shows his knowledge of Jazz History and repotiore; one of my favorite moments is when he plays a "Louis Armstrong" type solo for an example of phrasing; it's right on!
    All in all, a great DVD, although the production quality is kinda ehh.
  9. If you like J.Patitucci, E.Gomez, and A. Cohen, and C.McBride, M Vituous, and Chick ,then check out the 10 DVD set of Chick Corea "Rendezvous in New York". It has my favorites bassist's with close ups of them supporting Chick and some awesome soloing. I think it almost like a master class.
  10. Andy Allen

Aug 31, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I was pleased to see that the production quality on the Eddie Gomez DVD was considerably better. Both are worth owning for their content, but it's easier to watch/listen to the better producion.
  11. musicman5string

musicman5string Banned

Jan 17, 2006
    I just got the Rufus DVD and it's a winner also; if you've never met Rufus you should check it out to witness his warmth and knowledge.
  12. juggle4

Apr 25, 2006
    I notice there is both a book and dvd for Evolving Bassist.
    Do you gain any advantage by purchasing both, or is
    the dvd sufficient?
  13. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I've got both and the book is very useful when practicing and a good reference!
  14. Andy Allen

Aug 31, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    The DVD covers the physical approach, the 'how' to play, but references the book when it mentions 'what' to play.

IMHO the book is an indspensible tool to learn DB, whatever your level, and the DVD is a good add-on/expander to this. The two together are very complimentary, and become something a little more than the sum of the two parts.

My 0.2c - go get them both.

15. Cairobill

Dec 15, 2003
    I have both

Reid's DVD is a review of fundamentals which are useful for beginners and experts. He's also very good on posture, left and right hand technique. Some good harmony stuff in there too if you want to go over the basics again.

Patitucci's one is great but it's more of a clinic type setting. It has a lot of good stuff mixed up in it due to it being q&a in format. Some very good stuff on his own gear, taste, influences. Recommended...especially his opinions on holding back/ playing simple at first then increasingly complex stuff through tunes. Very intelligent thoughtful guy and I learned a lot (even though I don't seek his music out...)

Get both!

16. fish slapper

fish slapper

Nov 17, 2005
    Tigard, OR
    Well I've had the book for a while because my first teacher used it as a method to get me started. I didn't even know there was a DVD until I saw some posts around here. I went ahead and bought it, figuring the book is excellent so it was worth $40 to have the vid.

BTW: there's some good kharma to be had if you order through Rufus Reid's site:
    Part of the proceeds go to a Jazz foundation he's affiliated. I believe you get a deal if you order the book and DVD together so I'd recommend that.