1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Advice on Peavey please

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Laurie Bass, Oct 7, 2010.

1. Hello all,, I have a chance to purchase a restored a Peavey Foundation S that had been restored. I have never played a Peavey and am wondering what you guys think of them. I did do a search but it was not model specific. Apparently,this bass had new bridge(Wilkinson),Schaller 1/2 type enclosed tuners. Serial #02583206. There are no dings/scratches ECT and looks and plays like new.. Is it worth buying for $279.00?? Is it a really good bass? Thanks BTW comes with a hard shell case too.

2. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    Foundation S is a great bass. One of the best USA PJ's ever made as far as I'm concerned.

3. JZQuantum

JZQuantum

Oct 12, 2008
    279 might be a tad high. If it is in good shape and you like the sound, go for it. Or just wait a while. They always turn up on the bay, usually good ones too. I'd consider the passive Foundation bass too.

4. Bassdirty

Bassdirty Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2010
    CT
    Wow..at first I'm thinkin any USA bass should be worth more than that..but just checked around..and alot of people are gettin these used for less than $200.
    (harmony central reviews, where they say "price paid")

But even still..if I didnt know better... sounds like a good deal.

5. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    I assume the bass you're talking about is this - http://cgi.ebay.com/Peavey-Foundation-S-Bass-/220678943411?pt=Guitar&hash=item33617d72b3

That bass is a bit overpriced, I'd say at least $75 too high. I don't know what the seller means by "restored", though. I'd ask him about that. You can wait until the end of the auction and throw in a bid at $250. Otherwise, that bass probably won't sell at the price he's asking.

If that is THE color combination you want, then it's sort of an ok buy. But if the color doesn't matter that much to you, I'd wait. Foundations appear both on ebay and the classifieds here regularly, and for less money.

*I should mention that, regardless of the market, buying a bass like that for $250 is a tremendous bargain.

6. I would say that $275 is a big high as well. I mean it is cheap for a USA bass. But go with one that is original. I am not sure if the S model had the Super Ferrites in it but those are NOT the Ferrites. I have the a Foundation (jazz style) w. the Ferrites and it sounds great. One thing to note about the Foundations is the nut width is really really thin. Like a touch thinner than a Fender Jazz.

7. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    The S series did not come with ferrite pups. I can't remember for sure, but I thinking Schaller pups. If they are stock pups they should have exposed pole pieces.

8. hopefully this is not a TBers bass...

I'd run... seller is yanking your chain... either they bought direct replacements OR didn't do anything.. hardware looks stock

I'm unsure what a "restored" would mean.. the finishes on these are bullet proof.. setting up a truss and intonation isn't "restored" it's "cleaned, action set and intonation"

Doesn't look like a bad bass -- the word "restored" is a run word for me (on a bass that hasn't been restored)

White basses are not the fastest to resell..

Tim

1-I can normally ID, condition and value a USA peavey from bad pix... PM me if you have ads I can help with.

2-Offer still stands to drop ship them here for setup.

9. Correction --- Refurbished commonly means the seller found one that was never played (good condition) that a kid owned or was stored wrong.. out of all of them I've setup, they're the pickiest as the necks can be straightened and then go out again.

If this is your first USA Peavey, I'd consider buying from a TBer...

10. I actually DON'T think $275 w/ a HSC is THAT bad...

US Peaveys are really taking off and it shows in their prices. Shoot, i had a guy OFFER me $400 for my T20. :rollno:

The only clencher is the pickups... The super ferrites REALLY give the Peavey basses their own charm. For the same $275 i'm positive you could find a good all-original Foundation S.

Check the TB Classified section! There's been a bunch of Peavey stuff as of late.

11. TL5

TL5

Jun 27, 2005
    Nashville
    The "restored' does seem out of place.

I wonder if it could possibly mean that the bass was modified previously? Maybe it had different PUPs and/or hardware and was "restored" to the original appointments?

12. This is why I'd run...

1/2 of a blow hard story normally equals an over priced bass.

I am passionate about waxing, intonating and setting action on old Peaveys -- I'm not sure this would be calling it "restoring them" .. it would be a stretch to call unbasket casing a bass restoration.

My inkliing would be that it had a severely bowed neck --- I'm cool with that if the seller spells it out.

But then again I've restored cars.

13. Thanks for all your in put guys,,I willask a few more Q's. L.P.

14. Update on this bass,, Seller won't ship to me via USPS and will only ship via UPS at $117. :eek: So no go for me. Now I will keep an eye on T.B. Classifides for Peavey bass's. Thanks again. L.P.

15. Patience is key, Peavey basses are worth the wait and are 1/2 to 1/4 of what they should be value and quality wise.

16. oldrookie

oldrookie

May 15, 2007
    Avon, IN
    +1. Loving my Foundation and Fury. Thin, fast necks, excellent quality hardware (on the older ones) and fun to play.

Bought a late 90's Fury recently to refinish...not so impressed with the tuners on it. Just feel cheap.

The two from the '80's are keepers.

17. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    There's been quiet a few Foundation S models for sale in the past few months via the Internet. Try to get a well preserved one for less than that amount!
    With the low resale on many Peavey axes, and the restored aspect of that one, walk away at that price...

18. One of us would unbolt and mail in 2 peices.. I see you're a fellow canadien.

OR if in CDA.. why not Godin Solid body.. it's the peavey of the north (I just am not a fan of the company)

19. Again thanks for all your help. I know nothing about Peavey Basses. With all the different models I do not know which are just "OK" and which are the better ones.Perhaps I should read up on the "Peavey Club" that is here on T.B and get educated. Yes ai have heard of Godin guitars,however I do not care for their style. I do tend to go for Fender Basses. L.P. MN AirHead: are you CDN?

20. CDN.. yes from the MB brushland

Laurie.. let us know if we can help you.. keep my PM handle around.. something may pop up.

I'd be scouring Kiiji to avoid the import VAT and PST.

Or there may be someone down here if you ever get to the states.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021