1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

advice on pedals?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by petergp, Apr 17, 2010.

1. petergp

petergp

Apr 16, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Well, in the next month im gonna visit manhattan, and i was looking forward to slighlty (budget issues) upgrade my gear.
    I was looking for a nice and cheap wha wha to make slappin even more funky, and i found about this Boss Aw 3 Dynamic Wha, which sounded pretty nice to me, but ive never used any kind of effect or so. Are these reliable? also i was looking for a compressor (nothing fancy) to have a smoother change of intensities when switching techniques (i .e tappin to fingerstyle to slappin) but since im a rookie it this field of pedals, i dont know where to begin.
    in what stores do you think i should stop by?
    i only know about guitar center, and a few more that seem to only have USD3000+ instruments.
    so anyway, im a bit lost, hope to find some answers:D

2. The AW-3 is in fact a pretty dynamic pedal for the dough. It won't give you the sweet analog glorps of higher priced envelope filters, but it does the job efficiently and reliably. The range of sounds available on it are very diverse. You can get the auto wah / filter sound, and you can tweak it to get some wild distortion out of it too. It does sound a bit cold and synthetic and the bypass is not the greatest IMHO. For live applications or playing around at home it's very versatile. I wouldn't use it for recording anything serious.

3. K2000

K2000

Nov 16, 2005
    Brooklyn
    Visit from where? Manhattan isn't the first place I think of, when I think about shopping for good deals.

4. I agree with this too!

5. petergp

petergp

Apr 16, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    From Argentina, but of course i'll move around, Brooklin, Queens, wherever the prices are fair. Over here that boss pedal costs around 200 dollars, the double, from what've seen.

6. ive said it before and ill say it again......get out of here before its to late, this is adictive.

7. K2000

K2000

Nov 16, 2005
    Brooklyn
    Will you have a car? If so, maybe take a look at this place Pedal Geek. I've never been there but it looks like they have a huge selection (website says you can take the LIRR Long Island Railroad there too.. public transportation). Looks like it is just outside the city limits:

http://www.pedalgeek.com/cgi-bin/new_shop.cgi?config=&uid=RKE4jwAA1271572825&command=link--about

Do a search on New York City in this forum, and you can get the names and addresses of a bunch of other places.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    people are going to yell at me here but i'm going to say it. you shouldn't need a compressor to go from one technique to another. there...i said it.

:D

seriously, you're way better off in the long run fixing this problem with technique. i'm firmly against fixing technique problems with gear. and if any of you effects freaks wants to debate it, i'll tell you now...you're wrong :p :cool: