Advice on preamp and rig considerations please

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RSalvador, Aug 30, 2009.

1. RSalvador

RSalvador Lakland 44-94 - Markbass LMT 800 - Schroeder 1212L

Nov 19, 2005
    Springfield, MO
    First of all let me say that I know the sound I'm looking for. When I use my GK 400RB through my Schroeder 1212L, I'm in tone heaven. Doesn't have be exact but I like the punch and definition.

See my sig for current setup I'm trying to fix. I love for my Schroeder cabs and needing a modular setup prompted me to get a 2nd Schroeder for the blues band where I need the added volume and presence. But that leaves me with the 2 ohm dilemma and the problem. Love the QSCPLX 1202 power amp, like the Maximizer and bottom of the BBE pre, but it is hit and miss with the room. Sometimes the tone is very nice, sometimes way too boomy, tone stack is very hard to control, but never it has the punch and definition I want.

I've hooked the 400RB up as a pre and the sound was there but it was a pain and seemed a bit weak going from the DI to the QSC. I've looked at the GK 2001RBP but it seems a bit weird, not a lot of history out there and is discontinued. Its like you have to use the DI to hook it up unless the chain out is the ticket?

I can only think of three options that appeal to me at the moment.

1. Get a 1001RB or 700RB to run one cab and DI to the power amp to run the other. Really makes my amp case heavy, is a clunky way to do things, is probably a dumb idea.

2. Try adding a pedal like a Sadowsky Outboard Pre/DI or EBS Microbass II to go in front of my current rig. Not a GK, I could be spending a lot of money on pedals and not get the tone I want.

3. Get an Eden Navigator. It's not a GK though I'm told it will get very punchy. I'm afraid the tone won't be as much of an improvement as I'm hoping for.

I know, I should go to 8 ohm cabs. Just not able to start from scratch.

Thoughts? Thanks for you input.

2. dhomer

dhomer Commercial User

Apr 9, 2009
    Hickory Corners, MI
    Owner, Gigmaster Soundworks, Auth. greenboy designs builder, MI
    Take your BBE and QSC and hook it up to a Fitzmaurice Omni15TB. I have the same Bmax w/a Carvin DCM600. Built a 2-12" version of the aforementioned cab, since I have the drivers. The 3015LF option is more than adequate.. The LF section will punch you in the chest, and the midhorn will give you all the definition you want. Easy one cab solution.. Set the tone stack bass 3, mids 5-7, and highs all the way off.. Play w/the paramid a bit, and I think you'll like what you hear..

3. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 25, 2021