1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Advice on preamp swap needed

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Luke Warm Water, Apr 4, 2015.

1. Luke Warm Water

Luke Warm Water Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2012
    San Diego
    Hi All,

I'm updating an MIM Fender Deluxe P-J with some Bill Lawrence P's and a Nordstrand J. I'm doing so because the stock pups, typical of stock, sound 'okay' by themselves, kind of cheap, but just do not hold up in the mix at all. The question is whether it's worth it to engage in the much more involved process of changing out the preamp as well.

In YOUR opinions, if it were your bass, would you be inclined to gut the whole thing out and go with a new preamp as well? Or would these new pickups and an MIM stock preamp get the job done. Or better asked, with regards to cutting through the mix evenly, how much does the preamp play into this compared to the pickups themselves?

My thanks in advance. :)