1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Advice on relocating a battery....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by therh, Apr 20, 2010.

1. therh

therh

Mar 16, 2010
    Houston, Texas
    Hello,

I have a ESP Jazz bass copy with EMG actives, and I love the sound. The problem is the battery is located under the control plate. By question is, has anyone done a mod to locate the battery somewhere else? Say the rear middle of the body? If so links and pictures would be awesome.

RH

2. Thunderitter

Thunderitter Bass - the final frontier! Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    Easy enough to do if you've got access to a router and a bit of experience in using said router.

Here's my parts P bass, to which I fitted a EMG P p-up and then routed the requisite battery cavity. I bought the template and battery box from stewmac.com. It's going to be the same rout and box for a J, unless you want to go 18V. You will need to drill a channel from the battery cavity to the control cavity for the wires from the battery to the p-up harness.

DaveBassPbass.

....and a front view

DaveBassPbassfront.

3. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    The battery under control cavity cover is no problem so long as the control cavity cover comes off easy. To make that happen, I drilled a 1/4 inch hole in mine that a scredriver tip can use easy topop lid off if the foam I put in the control cavity for battery doesnt lift it. Problem with making a seperate compartment for battery is that of making it and getting cover for it and running wire from battery to control cavity places it needs to go. I use soft foam under battery in control cavity to keep it in place so doesnt rattle around inside. The extra hole punched into control cavity cover to make removing cover that much easier. (For basses that came passive that I add active eq preamp to.

4. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    Once you have a quick-change batter compartment, you'll never go back. I have put one in between the pickups on my jazz. I'll post a pic shortly.

5. therh

therh

Mar 16, 2010
    Houston, Texas
    This will help greatly, I love the versatility out of a seemingly simple set up but not having an easily changeable battery is a pain.

6. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    [​IMG]

My compartment is wider because the battery lays flat, so it's thinner front to back. Not necessary for a thick body like this, but I had it laying around.

7. Thunderitter

Thunderitter Bass - the final frontier! Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    Do you have a picture of what you're trying to explain?