1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Advice on repairing / replacing the 15" driver in SWR Basic Black

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gerry81611, Jan 6, 2016.

1. gerry81611

gerry81611

Oct 16, 2012
    Hello,

Today I found out there is an issue with the driver in my Basic Black. It makes a distortion noise when i play my bass softly through it. The noise either goes away or is drowned out when I play louder, and then it actually sounds pretty good. So I don't think the speaker is blown.

I'd taken the amp into Vacuum Tube Supplies here in Denver, they gave the amplifier section a clean bill of health but couldn't figure out the exact cause of the noise. They swapped in a different driver and the sound was clean, so whatever is wrong, its the driver.

I am assuming that I will have to replace the driver and would love some advice on good replacements / upgrades and places to buy them. However, while searching before posting it seems that replacing may not be as straightforward as just dropping in a new driver and there are other options for repairing that I wasn't aware of.

So if you all think that repairing is the way to go, I'd love any Denver recommendations of people with the skills.

I am the original owner of this amp and love it! I would like to get it back to tip top shape!

Thanks for your time,

Gerry

2. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

You should have a pro sound company or two in town. Find out if they do speaker repair or who they use. It could be as simple as a glue joint on the center cap and no need to replace or re cone.

wave rider likes this.
  3. gerry81611

gerry81611

Oct 16, 2012
    Thank you! I'll start with speaker repair companies and will share my experience here for future reference

wave rider and B-string like this.
  4. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

To add to Mr B’s post did you try the obvious and test the amp with a known to be good external speaker cabinet. Link the send and return of the Effects loop if it has one. Link pre-amp out to power amp in if it has one. Both of these with signal cables. Before spending money on a driver repair we should ensure that the driver is actually the problem. Then do as Mr B suggests. :)

5. B-string

Easier to do this from the manual:

"With the Blend control fully counter-clockwise, no signal from your effect will be heard." This should bypass the effects loop.

Otherwise BassmanPaul is correct

BassmanPaul likes this.
  6. gerry81611

gerry81611

Oct 16, 2012
    thanks, although since they put a different driver in to test and the problem went away wouldn't that eliminate the amp? the tech also had the amp hooked up to tone generators and oscilloscopes and stuff and said that the amp part looked good

7. LUCE

LUCE

Jan 9, 2015
    Denver, CO
    National does speaker work here in town, but if it's the speaker, great replacements can be had for $100 or so.

8. fast slapper

fast slapper Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    Try an Eminence Basslite 2515 if you never use an extension cabinet. It'll make the most use of the amp. I believe they're $150.

9. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

it will only do so if the combo cabinet is suitable for the drivers TS parameters.

10. gerry81611

gerry81611

Oct 16, 2012
    Thanks! Thats the thing, I originally thought that replacing the speaker would be a drop in, and considering that this is the first repair i've ever had to do i'm totally happy to spend $150 on a new driver or even an upgrade. Since I don't know much about this stuff I would have to rely on you fine folks for the recommendations though.

The thing is that as I was searching it seems like there is a lot more to getting the right speaker. I don't know what TS parameters are, but stuff like that :) If I go the replacement route I will need your advice on how to pick out a suitable replacement.

I'll give National a ring, but certainly if you fine folks can help me pick out a great replacement or upgrade driver I'd love to just order it and drop it in myself!

thanks,

g

11. B-string

You'll need to supply the inside dimensions of the speaker cab and diameter plus length of any ports or if the cab is "sealed" (no ports).

My old mentor told me something when I was a kid looking to re-stuff a box, not exactly PC.
    Looking for a speaker to put in an existing box is like choosing a wife by a wedding dress in your closet.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2016
    S-Bigbottom and wave rider like this.
  12. fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    I ran box simulations of the best drivers from the Eminence catalog using approximate box dimensions. The Basslite C2515 matches the sensitivity of the top performers in the area where it counts the most. It's also a 4 ohm driver which will allow you to get a little more headroom from the amp. According to the Basic Black manual, the amp section will safely work with 2 ohm loads which would still allow you to use an extension cab if necessary.

Your amp will also become lighter as well. Sounds like a good upgrade.

13. gerry81611

gerry81611

Oct 16, 2012
    Thank you! I didn't read up on this thread before heading down to National Speaker to see about repairing the driver. They took one look at it and said don't bother fixing the speaker and sold me an Eminence Delta 15A, returnable until its installed.

So it looks like its replacement rather than repair. Does the Basic Black manual:
    http://support.swramps.com/manuals/pdfs/basicblackom.pdf

provide enough information for a driver recommendation or shall I do the measurements? For example there is a port on the back that I don't believe is mentioned in the manual. That C2515 looks pretty good to me, but of course I don't know what I'm talking about :)

thanks,

gerry

14. fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    They will perform very similarly to each other. The C2515 will get more power from the amp giving you a little more headroom than the Delta 15A.

The Delta is a worthy cost effective replacement. The C2515 is a more recent design with slightly better performance potential.

To sum it up even further, if the original speaker did everything you needed it to then the Delta will serve you well.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
  15. gerry81611

gerry81611

Oct 16, 2012
    thank you!

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 13, 2021