1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Advice on second bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Havard74, Apr 2, 2009.

1. Havard74

Havard74

May 14, 2008
    Hi... I want to have an alternative to my Warwick Thumb 5 BO, and I'm browsing for a more vintage sounding horn.

I have the following options:

1. MM Sterling 5 HH
    2. Fender Am.deluxe J-bass V
    3. Fender Am.standard P-bass V

Any opinions?

H.

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Personal preference. Mine would be an Am Dlx P.

3. Havard74

Havard74

May 14, 2008
    Sure, but those are discontinued. A second hand 5-string Am.deluxe P-bass is difficult to find..

4. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

A Warwick and a Jazz will cover a lot of different tones. So a Jazz would be my pick with a EBMM a distant 2nd.

5. Havard74

Havard74

May 14, 2008
    That's what I'm thinking aswell. In the long run, the MM might be in the same street as the warwick...

H.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    MM's different from the Warwick but it's closer to the Warwick in tone to my ears than a Fender. I'd go slightly off the board and suggest going for a PJ myself. Love the Precision by itself, but with a J pickup you can cop all the tones of a Jazz. The Jazz, OTOH, sort of cops a Precision tone with the neck pickup soloed but not quite. A PJ does a lot better job copping Jazz tones than a Jazz cops Precision tones IMHO.

But the honest truth is that you will do just fine with any of them so just get the one that speaks to you the most.

7. broadblik

broadblik

Aug 10, 2008
    Sheffield, UK
    Not sure if you want the Deluxe Special, IME the pre-amp takes alot of the vintagey-ness out...