1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

advice on self-publishing a magazine

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by fange, Apr 29, 2009.

1. fange

fange

Jan 31, 2009
    taranaki
    hey TB
    recently myself and two long time friends had the idea of publishing a magazine,
    it will be like a mixed bag as one has a fashion design degree the other a degree in media and communications and well i have a degree in archeology hehe
    the woman with the media degree has appointed herself editor and agreed for me to write a gig guide based around sydney ,aus , and afew other little bits like gardening and travel because of my occupation

but what im after is some advice because im kind of feeling like a weak link at this stage.
    any advice on layout to column writing , anything would be really helpful

many thanks

fange

2. Papazita

Papazita

Jun 27, 2008
    Ohio
    Oh Mr. Bowlus.....

3. fange

fange

Jan 31, 2009
    taranaki
    ouch............

4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Advice? No problem. Start with giving up sleep. That's the only way that you can even hope to have the time to do anything (presuming that you have an alternate 'day job').

Actually, my personal situation is probably not a good example of how to plan a venture such as this. Too many things just kinda fell into place as far as Bass Gear Magazine goes. But I guess I'd say the best advice I can give is surround yourself with people who have a sincere passion for the subject matter, and then let those people have the freedom to do their thing.

Oh, and if you are not strong on grammar, get yourself a good copy editor.

It's a lot harder thing to do (publish a magazine) than you might think, and there are no end of potential hurdles to be overcome.

But it is also very rewarding at the end of the day. :cool:

Best of luck!

5. Papazita

Papazita

Jun 27, 2008
    Ohio
    :eyebrow:

:smug:

:bag::p

6. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Exactly! :smug:

P.S.
    Stream-of-consciousness writing, while typing as fast as you can (and multi-tasking on several other things simultaneously), is not the ideal way to compose. :meh:

7. Papazita

Papazita

Jun 27, 2008
    Ohio
    Excuses, excuses.

Now hire me!
    :D

8. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Do you work for free? I forgot to mention that this is one of the other key things to look for in your staff. :smug:

9. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    I'd say it's pretty hard to launch a mixed-bag magazine. Some audience needs to identify itself to it. If there's a better mag for every subject you're covering, there's no one to prefer your publication.

Media/fashion/music is one good way to go, albeit there's a lot of competition. If you have a strong and interesting identity, however, then you have a head start over most small "neutral" magazines.

10. Papazita

Papazita

Jun 27, 2008
    Ohio
    Sure I will.
    With the level of editing skills I can provide, I deserve to be unpaid!
    ;)