Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Advice on Single 4 ohm cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassjamn, Jul 4, 2004.

1. bassjamn

bassjamn

Jan 4, 2002
    San Francisco
    I've already got an Aggie 2x12 and Eden 2x10 (both 8 OHM) cabs for use with my eden traveller 550.

too big to carry around for rehearsals and 1 cab is just barely hanging on for volume with my guitarist/drummer. Plus i would like to have it for smaller gigs.

Need advice on a semi portable 4 ohm cab, was thinking one of those SWR triads or similar......

2. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Ahem... Acme Low B2! Thank you and goodnite, I'll be here all week.
    [​IMG]

3. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    triads are supposedly quiet (ie not that efficient)... probably something better out there for your needs. :bassist:

4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Schroeder cabs are all 4 ohm... I'm digging my 1210!

24x16x16 @ under 50lbs, very portable

5. bassjamn

bassjamn

Jan 4, 2002
    San Francisco
    thanks for the tips all, That Acme sure looks nice. I was considering a eden XST to get to that low 30hz range for my 5 stringer...

Wow acme does all that and it's cheaper! i am questioning the "Uncolored" tone they mention in the reviews. I am guessing With the proper Eq'in can you get the cab to sound both fat/Round and Edgy/cutting low/mids ? I desire many tones :cool:

6. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    It might be too small, but an Avatar 12 cab is pretty loud and fairly portable. More efficient than the Acme cabs...handles 500 watts, too.

7. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    I'm not sure; it just sounds good to me.

8. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile

Yup! same here... http://www.schroedercabinets.com is what I chose (never tried an Acme though ;) )

9. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith

Sep 9, 2001
    I'd be looking at the 1x12/2x10 Bergie. :cool:

10. Sensitivity/Power chart
    Note that going to 500 watts (as opposed to 300 into an 8 Ohm) into a 4 Ohm cab of equal sensitivity is only going to get you about 2 dB increase in loudness. A barely noticeable difference. If one of your cabs is barely cutting it for rehearsal now, going to a similiar 4 Ohm cab is NOT going to do it for you, unless you can get control of your rehearsal volume. Your Eden 2x10 XLT is known for it's cutting sound and is pumping mid 120 dBs with 300 Watts, which is LOUD.

Although I love my 4 Ohm Acme B2, it's not for everybody or every situation. With a low sensitivity 4 Ohm cab like the Acme the increase in power would net you less volume!

For a lightweight cab that would beat out your current 2x10, you might want to check into something like an Epifani 3x10 UL, or possibly one of the new cabs from Shroeder or Low Down Sound.

11. Nuno A.

Nuno A. Velvet Strings Customer Service

Jul 9, 2001
    SWITZERLAND
    I would try the EA Wizzy cab, its an amazing little cab, and the amount of sound which comes out is absolutely amazing.. i use it with an iamp 500 and really like this rig.

12. cosmodrome

cosmodrome Registered User

Apr 30, 2004
    ****town, Netherlands
    the 4 ohm d410t eden cab is small & sexy. i didn't like the triad at all. the 15" didn't really impress me and the 1 10 just wasn't enough, for some reason i ended up short.

13. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    The Schroeder's do, indeed, look promising. Depending on how big of a cab you are looking for, and what sound you prefer, I would also suggest the 2x8's from Low Down Sound (lots of low end in a very portable package), the Wizzy, as mentioned above, or, if you want a real "do-it-all" cab, the Accugroove Whappo, Jr. I own one of these with the neo drivers, and it is quite easy to carry around. Being narrower and taller than a 4x10, I find it to be quite comfortable to pick up and carry. And of course, the sound! It will put a Triad to absolute shame, by comparision.