Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Advice on small combo or head/cab setup

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tombowlus, Apr 3, 2003.

1. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    New poster here, and believe it or not, I have searched the forum and read about all that I could find on this topic. I found a lot of great information, but some of it was from over a year ago, so I am hoping to get some slightly more focused and updated advice. Thanks in advance for your patience and responses.

My dilemma is this. I have a "big rig" which I am very happy with. For those who care, it consists of an Eden Navigator feeding a QSC PLX 3002, which powers a Mesa Boogie Diesel 4x10 and an Eden 212XLT. This rig gets me tons of headroom (and volume, if I need it), and my tone is tight and fairly even across my instruments' sonic spectrum(s). I also have a nice little practice amp, the venerable Fender RAD Bass, which does me fine when I am jamming by myself.

Now, what I would like to pick up is either a small yet powerful combo, or a compact head with one or two portable cabs. My uses would vary from practice/jam sessions (some of which get fairly loud) to smaller gigs, to larger gigs with less stage room (and where I will be running through the mains). Heck, it might even be nice to have someting that I can use on bigger stages when I just don't feel like lugging in my main rig.

FWIW, I play a variety of electric basses (mostly 4, but some 5-string) as well as a Kay upright with a Barbera bridge transducer system.

On the combo side of things, my front runners are the Eden Time Traveler 10 (or 12) combo, or one of the iAMP combos (200, 350, or - if I save my cash - the upcoming 800 combo). If I went with the Eden, I would probably add a 1x12 from the get go. If I went the iAMP route, I would have to wait and save up more cash.

Now, if I decide to go the head/cab route, I am fairly sold on the Aguilar GS112, and would likely get two of them (although I would certainly consider EA as well). As you might expect, I would also be considering the Time Traveler head or one of the iAMP heads. However, after reading some of the posts here, I am thinking that I should add the Mesa Boogie Walkabout into the mix.

I have a fairly good idea of how the sound of the EA iAMPs differs from the traditional Eden sound, but what I am less certain of is how the Time Traveler compares with the traditional Eden sound. And then there is the issue of how the Time Traveler would sound compared to the Walkabout. There have been numerous posts in the past comparing the Walkabout to the WT-300/400, but as the Time Traveler is all solid state, I figured it might be a different story.

So, with all that being said (are you still with me?), I would be up for advice on any of the above, including combos versus separate head/amp, Aguilar GS112 versus other (affordable) small cabs, Eden verus EA, Time Traveler versus Walkabout, Time Traveler Combo 10 plus 1x12 versus Walkabout w/ 2 GS112's, etc. You get the picture.

Unfortunately, where I live it is very difficult to get to shops that carry any of the higher end bass lines, much less multiple lines. So, while I do plan on trying to audition what I can, I was hoping to get some more advice/feedback/experience from y'all first.

Thanks again, Tom.

2. ahh tom before he got his masses of gear :D noone likes you back here did they :spit:

3. mimaz

mimaz

Mar 1, 2005
    Wheeling WV
    Endorsing Artist: Crook Custom Guitars
    Exactly how did you dredge up this old (and now amusing) post?

4. haha i was just wandering around the site, clicked all threads started by tom, (had just read his gear list...dude i knew you had quite a bit of stuff.. but come on!) and clicked last page:) this was at the bottom, haha tom had no friends...

5. so, he amassed all those gears in just 3 years? oh man, I should ditch my job...;)

6. its just not right its it... ;)