Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Advice on speaker building. Are these good drivers?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jock, Jun 30, 2004.

1. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Found two lightly used RCF L15P540 drivers.
    Are these good speakers? Good for 4-stringed bass?
    They fit in a small 1,78 ft^3 cab tuned in SBB4 alignment. Biggest plus for me is the small cab.
    Should I buy them?
    They cost about 1/3 of the new price.
    Might make a good portable 2x15". :hyper:

link to specs

2. I'm a complete noob when it comes to speakers, but by looking at the frequency response chart, it seems to roll off at above 100hZ, which is probably not a good thing.

3. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I've experimented with these filters and found that the components required to make such a high pass filter are very bulky. The inductors in particular will be heavy if you use the recommended air-core variety (magnetic core doesn't work well at high wattage levels, then tend to add distortion).

I've actually had pretty good results with 6dB per octave filters that use a capacitor only. I know that speakers generally roll off faster than that, and I didn't expect it to work, but it does.

4. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Thanks.
    Ive got highpass filter in my poweramp with a built in crossover (highpass or lowpass) that can be set to anything between 25 and 150 Hz so that wont be a problem.
    Now if the seller will only answer my mail... :scowl:

5. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    The seller contacted me at last. Turns out the drivers have only been used temporarily as the stock drivers for his cab has been off for reconing. The drivers are still in the cab so I may be able to listen to them as well. We´ll have to see next week.

BTW I compared the RCF to a EVM 15B Proline speaker in WinISD and the plots are almoust identical. But the RCF has a 50 litre box while the EVM has a 88 litre box. That EVM has really nice lows IMO and if the RCF is close I think I will be satisfied.