Advice on split-coil pups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Matty-Bass, Mar 12, 2010.

1. Matty-Bass

Matty-Bass

Mar 13, 2005
    Edmonton
    I'm trying to sell my vintage Yamaha P-bass because I find it just doesn't have a good response and tone. It's driving me nuts. I'm now questioning whether to just replace the old Dimarzio split-coil pickups in it. They were aftermarket pups about 25 years ago when the original owner bought the bass, yet they just dont have a very good sound.

I know I can't obtain a j-bass sound from the bass, but I'd like to get as close to a j-bass sound as possible without actually buying one. I know I'm going to get laughed at for saying this, but is there one particular model of splitty's that is known for a more treble-y tone? I'm no expert on pups so I need your expertise!

2. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    Are you handy with a router? 95% of that jazz bass tone comes from the pickup placement. Your P-bass really won't be able to pull it off. Putting a jazz pickup in there, though, would be extremely easy to do.

If you can sell it, do it and buy something with jazz pickups. If you're feeling adventurous and like to modify basses, buy a jazz pickup and route the cavity for it.

3. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021