1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Advice on SX bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by heymelbs, Mar 9, 2008.

1. heymelbs

heymelbs

Aug 23, 2007
    Northern Iowa
    I'm looking at this bass and am wondering if some folks could check in on it. Price is good, I like the P/J (passive) setup and would like a jazz neck. There have been many good things said about these value basses on this site and others, what say you?

2. Go for it.

3. I've got one. I took the neck off and replaced it with one of their Jazz replacement necks because the P neck width was a bit too much for me. Other than that, they're great basses. Pickups are very hot, tuners are good. Good build quality.

4. heymelbs

heymelbs

Aug 23, 2007
    Northern Iowa
    How's the action? I would rather have a jazz neck, but a standard neck with good action isn't so bad.

5. Strongjag

Strongjag

Aug 14, 2005
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Beards.
    I do believe that particular bass has a P neck.

6. I have one, or a very similar older model anyway, and I highly recommend it. It plays as well as instruments costing many times more.

I'd say the action, at least on mine, after a good setup, is medium-low: it's not $1500, almost touching the frets, ruler straight low, but it's more than sufficient for 97% of playing.

I replaced the bridge with a Gotoh and I found it helped the sustain and tone, but I would play it stock for sure.

7. I was able to get the action pretty low on the stock neck, but much lower on the Jazz replacement neck. All in all, it's really a nice bass. I would recommend it over the SX jazz that I bought a while back. I also put a Gotoh 201 on mine. Here's a pic:

SXWithnewNeck.

8. heymelbs

heymelbs

Aug 23, 2007
    Northern Iowa
    That's a sweet looking bass, how much was the overall investment? Will the folks at Rondo customize with the jazz neck, or do you have to order both and do it yourself?

9. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    i'd go for it.

and in a related note:

WHY DID RONDO HAVE TO DISCONTINUE THE PIRATE BASS?!?! WHY?!?! I was just about to order one! seriously! yar, that blows.

10. You have to order it separately and do it yourself. Neck was one of the cheap ones they had on sale a while back for $25. So with that and the Gotoh it was about $60. Plus I trimmed the headstock and tru-oiled it, which was about another $5. So total around $200 when you count shipping for everything.

11. Discontinued? I think it's just out of stock.

12. dakpluto

dakpluto

Oct 14, 2006
    Orlando, FL
    Product: SX PBG2 Pirate Bass
    Sorry, this item is currently out-of-stock. Check back often.