Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Advice on this preamp setup...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jazzmann23, Oct 26, 2002.

1. jazzmann23

jazzmann23 Guest

Sep 11, 2002
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Hello all I came across this really cool tube EQ from Aphex called the Tubessence EQ. It has some really nice features including parametric EQ, signal shaping and such. You can even take out the EQ and still get a tube going through the signal path, which I thought was pretty cool. Anyways I was trying to save some money and get a solid state pre like the Yamaha PB-1 and having the Aphex to warm up the signal path. Does anyone think this to be a good idea? I really like Demeter stuff but I got a baby on the way and I got alot of gear to sell and I want most of the money to go to the baby but I started a new music project and I need new gear. So has anyone used one of these, and does it sound like a good money saving idea? Here's a pic of the EQ.

2. jazzmann23

jazzmann23 Guest

Sep 11, 2002
    Murfreesboro, TN
    well I was on the Aphex site and I learned that there is actually no tubes at all, but it still looks like a cool unit to me.

Here's a link to the the unit's features..www.aphex.com/products/109.htm

3. jazzmann23

jazzmann23 Guest

Sep 11, 2002
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Guess nobody has an opinion on this? I'm still confused whether or not the Tubessence stuff actually has tubes. I was reading up on the unit in Full Compass and it mentioned it has a tube, but on the Aphex website it's kind of vauge on the tube issue. On the specs sheet it doesn't mention a type of tube or anything. I'm confused? Can someone help me out on this issue..?

4. K-Frog

K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    Get the Yamaha first, you may find that it's tone is warm enough for you. It ain't tubes, but it's nice.
    K

5. MdA

MdA

Nov 25, 2015
    I know this is an OLD post, but yes it does have one tube in it. I'm looking to sell mine,btw....

6. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic and card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147