Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

advice on this rig please - and another couple of ?'s

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by remo, Jan 29, 2005.

1. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
    Hi.. I'm buying my first proper bass rig soon. I've found this rig at a good price second hand.

GK 700RB head (not the mk2)
    AMPEG 410HLF cab

Now I'd like to know if these are a well matched pair. The 700RB is 380W into 4ohms. The Ampeg cab is a 4ohms cab but the ampeg website states the cab ia rated at 500W. Does this mean the 380W head is underpowered to drive this cab?

Another question about the 700RB is do I need to leave space above and below it for ventilation? I would like to flush mount it tightly with foam on each side (not front and back obviously) to keep it safe on the road. Does the head only require front and rear ventilation or are there also vents on the top and bottom. (The amp is in another state so I can not see it until it gets shipped down).

I read somewhere the fuse for the 700RB is located internally and can be a real pain to change quickly. Has anyone considered modding the amp to replace the internal fuse with an externally accessible replacement? It should be quite easy, just wire in a new fuse case that mounts to a new hole in the rear of the amp (there has to be some space for one).

http://www.allelectronics.com/images/gold/full/FHPM-45.jpg

thanks.

2. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Safe time-tested combination. No problems.

I believe the 700RB also has vents on top.

Sounds like it would be easy, but I have never owned a 700RB so I don't know.

3. Rockland Eagle

Rockland Eagle

Jan 29, 2005
    Austin, TX

4. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
    great.. thanks guys.. I'll update the post when/if I do the external fuse holder mod (with some digital photos).. could help some other 700RB owners! :D

5. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    heck no it's not

efficiency is far more important to live sound, (e.g., bass cabinets, PA cabinets, etc) than to car audio.

these car audio guys may want to win volume contests, but they're performing for nothing else than their own egos or to make up for anatomical deficiencies - :p

on the other hand, efficiency is vital for us because we are actually performing for someone who cares if they can hear us or not. the more efficent a cabinet is, the less wattage you need to produce a given amount of volume. every 3 bD lower in effieciency a cabinet is compared to another means you need twice the power to produce the same level of volume. power is expensive and heavy. i dunno about you, but i'd rather have a cab with an efficiency of 103 dB and a 300 watt amp than a cab with an efficiency of 97 dB and have to buy and carry a 1200 watt amp.

6. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005

Whats the easiest way for me to find out the efficiency of this setup? How is it measuered?

7. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    easy

all cabinets have an efficiancy rating measured in dB (@ 1 watt @ 1 metsr @ 1 kHz)

whatever cab you are looking at should have an efficiancy rating available in its specs.

8. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
    I've scoured the Ampeg site for the efficiancy rating to no avail.. any other ideas?

9. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
  10. Be careful as the HLF cabs are very deep and boomy sounding and do not project clarity very well in my opinion. The "he" series isnt ported ( like the 810 cabs ) and is far nicer sounding full range etc

11. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
    could I possibly block the ports in this HLF to achive a similar result to the HE?

12. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
    Is low sensitivity good or bad??

Could I possibly block/baffle the ports in the HLF to reduce some of the boominess and closer approximate the HE cab?

13. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Low sensitivity is a bad thing. You need more power to get to the same level of volume

And don't block the ports in any cab. It wouldn't work and if it did the cab would sound like crap.

14. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    the higher the sensativity rating, the more efficient (better). My EA wizzy 112 speakers are rated @103db. That doesn't mean they are gonna be louder than your ampeg 410 cause surface area is also a factor in total volume.I you have another 410 4ohm cabinet that has a higher efficency rating, well it's going to sound louder if you a/b them. Bottom line is, Don't worry about it. Just plug in and have fun.

15. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
    thanks heaps for your replies. Could anyone suggest some other cab options for the GK700RB (4x12)? I'm a bit put off by the lack of bottom end tighness and this low sensitivity of the Ampeg 410HLF.. I really only want to buy 1 cab right now and really want it to be the "right one".. thanks..

16. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
  17. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
    interesting! Good price here in Australia also. Do you have one of these? How about their smaller brother? much difference?

http://www.carvin.com/products/single.php?ItemNumber=RL410T&CID=BA

a good 30lb less.. the BRX10 looks like a killer cab.. too bad about the weight... I'm a small dude, don't know if I could even get it into the back of the car on my own.. I'll be like :help: :help: :help:

18. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    No I don't but if my home had no stairs, I owned a van and had regular gigs I'd own one for sure. I own other Carvin stuff. 2 basses (lb70p, lb75af) and a pb200 combo. I don't like lifting the heavy stuff either so I went with a light weight rig consisting of a new Yamaha bbt500h head and 2 Euphonic Audio wizzy 112 cabs. 70lb's for the whole shot. For another $100 I could have gotten the Carvin b1900 and brx10 cab but I'd still have to break my back playing roadie.