Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Advice on this setup

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Regurgitator, Oct 7, 2000.

1. Regurgitator

Regurgitator

Apr 27, 2000
    I am considering a Mesa Bass 400+ to compliment my Big Ben 18 and my EV410. Would the Mesa be a good choice for these cabs? I need something loud! My guitar player is drowning me out with his Peavey 160. To top that off, we have two drummers! Any comments on the Mesa?

2. spose

spose

Jun 6, 2000
    The Bass 400+ is a great amp. However to get the most out of playing thru two different speaker cabs (4x10's&1x18)
    You will get better seperation by splitting your signal and bi-amping. Or without buying another amp, try a crossover to seperate frequencies.The key is getting only the fequency you want to each cab. Seperation of frequency is a much bigger and better way of developing your sound than just adding more volume and more speakers at full range.

just a few things to ponder...hope this was some help.

3. That certainly wasn't my experience with biamping. I had a setup consisting of an Eden Navigator preamp, QSC PLX series power amp, and Eden D-210XLT and D-118XL cabinets, and I found the sound to be MUCH fuller and even by running them in stereo and adjusting the balance between them than when I tried using true biamping with the crossover.

I tried it later with a D-115XLT on the bottom with the same results.

I suppose biamping might work for some folks and some rigs, but I didn't like it at all.

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    michaeln -

Before you decided to run stereo/full range, what crossover frequency did you use when you bi-amped?

Also, which bottom did you prefer overall, the 115 or the 118? I'm thinking about putting one of the two under my 210. Right now, I'm using my D-410XLT under my D-210XLT, and the sound is boobies, but I'm looking for just a leeeetle more bottom end.

[Edited by Munjibunga on 10-07-2000 at 09:03 PM]

5. I tried the full range of the crossover control of the Navigator (120Hz to 1.2KHz).

The D-115XLT, definitely. It may not have had quite as much bottom as the 118XL, but it was much better controlled and merged more gracefully with the sound of the 210XLT.

I still have the 118XL in my storage room, but it needs a recone.