Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Advice on this tone? (clips)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Sgtthump, May 2, 2005.

1. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I like it a lot! Little clanky, but that's what you get for using a Moses Lee! I love it though!

2. Sako

Sako

Nov 4, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    I think it's great -- I absolutely love that tone. I should have never gotten rid of my SABDDI (a low point in my life... please, I can't talk about it anymore).

3. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    Not exactly my bag, but really great tone, especially in the 2nd clip.

4. Thanks! Forgive me for asking what is probably a very stupid question, but what exactly do you mean by "Moses Lee?"

5. Thanks man. I've come close to taking this back to GC twice now, but I admit that it's worth the $180 pricetag. I hate spending that much on a pedal, but that's actually really cheap for a compact rehearsal/backup rig.

Chris

6. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    Wow. That's a really excellent tone. Are you really using a Geddy Lee Jazz bass with a Moses Graphite neck? I could've sworn you were using a MM with that tone. I've really been leaning towards that new SansAmp Programmable DI and those clips are really making want one. If you can get that tone on a Jazz Bass then I know I can get a Flea-Rock tone with my bass.

I WANT.

-Eric.

EDIT: Forgot to advise. I think it's pretty clanky and a little gain heavy for certain slap styles, BUT I know that if you were playing live with a band that those clicks and clanks are would really make you stand out. They'd almost get completely covered up, but they'd stand out just a tad.

Very nice.

7. Sounds great and agree with the high end / mids standing out in a mix. What were your settings ? Curious to see what more drive would do to either add or bogart the sound....

8. Thanks!!! Nah, I'm using a stock Geddy Lee Jazz. No Moses neck or anything...

Chris

9. I'll post the settings when I get home this evening. To me, it doesn't sound clanky or whatever. I mean, it might a little, but I like that better than a dull flat tone. Heck, I dunno. lol...

Chris

10. Here are the settings I used for these clips...

[​IMG]

Chris

11. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    Clanky meaning you can hear the fret noise and every little detail of sound comes through. Like I said, in the live mix it really is what helps your tone come through without being completely covered up.

-Eric.

P.S. - Didn't somebody say it had a Moses Neck somewhere?

12. +1

Great clips. I like the sound a lot.
    Now. :)
    Since you made these clips... do you care making some more with some more drive in it? I never heard the overdriven sounds of a Sansamp...

13. I see, thanks. I bet you guys are thinking of someone else that has a Moses neck on their Geddy Lee Jazz. It's not me!!! :)

14. Sure! I can probably do that tonight when I get home from work. Check back!

15. Thanks mate!

16. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    $180? wow I got mine in trade so never checked on the price they were going for. I never use mine, thought I would. Its brand new basically, just sitting in its box. I never use it. Sounds good, I agree a little clanky perhaps, but good overall tone.

17. Yeah, I think they go for $189 or something brand new. I got mine for $172, because I talked GC down. But yeah, that's alot of money for a pedal.

I've owned a few "boutique" guitar pedals that did a good job, but none of them were worth that kind of price tag. If you know how to tweak, you can get cheap stuff to sound good. :)

HOWEVER, I think this Sansamp BDDI does sound killer and like I said, it's an expensive pedal, but a not so expensive full backup rig if something in your main rig should fail.

Chris

18. Does this sound better? I took the presence all the way down, reduced some treble and boosted some lows. Oh yeah, please don't laugh too hard at my take on the "My Favorite Headache" opening riff. I don't know it, but just started experimenting with it a few minutes ago. lol...

http://www.chrissnider.net/temp/sansamp_bddi5.mp3

I do think this sounds better.

Chris

19. Here's a clip with the same settings as clip 5 above, but with the drive turned up from noon to 3:00 o'clock and the level down to compensate.

http://www.chrissnider.net/temp/sansamp_bddi6.mp3

I fully understand that I should increase the treble some when having the drive up this high, but I'm not prepared to lose my previous settings yet! LOL!

Chris