Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

advice on tone...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lozenger, Apr 18, 2003.

1. Lozenger

Lozenger

Feb 26, 2003
    If you are new to basses like i am how do you tell if they have agood tone or not, i can judge for myself on whether i think it looks goo but do i hav to see what i think sounds right or is there something you have to listen for?

cheers :bassist:

2. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Good tone is, IMHO, the single biggest subjective quality of an instrument! For just about every tone available, there are people who prefer that particular tone and just as many who don't care for that same tone.

I personally like a round tone that has harmonic clarity (some call the "piano tone"), accentuates the low mids (around 250 Hz), and has a little treble bite.

It's a tone that I didn't recognize until I'd been playing for years, though.

3. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I would suggest listening to lots of recordings (of various styles) to determine what kind of tone or sound appeals to you. Then you can work on finding the settings or equipment to help you get that sound. Only you will know what you like or don't like.

jd

4. What was said above!

And remember, its not just good tone, playability is very important!!

There's lots of variables when looking for a tone, it all depends on where and what and how you are playing. what JD said, is, teh w3rd . :p