Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Advice on Trace Elliot Amp/Cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DarkMazda, Aug 11, 2000.

1. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    I just went to Zzounds and i saw these sweeet prices on a Amp/Cab...

- Trace Elliot AH300SMC SMC Series Bass Amplifier Head with GP7SM Preamp - $589.00

- Trace Elliot 1248H Bass Speaker Enclosure (4 x 12 in Speakers with Horn, 450-Watts) - $469.00

I think those are REALLY REALLY great prices.. and later on.. Maybe I might buy a Trace Elliot 1x15 cab to get tha tlower tone out.. but anyways for $1058 and freeshipping.. what do you guys think? :)

2. oo0o00o0oo

oo0o00o0oo

Apr 30, 2000
    Chicago
    Great deal on a great head, but I would say no to the cab, I don't like 12 inch speakers for bass, I think it's more of a guitar thing. I personally have 2 TE 210's I think they reproduces bass just as good as a 15" inch would.

3. oo0o00o0oo

oo0o00o0oo

Apr 30, 2000
    Chicago
    I got both of my 210's for 379 dollars new, just thought I'de let ya know

4. Amoilbasso

Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000
    Florence
    A litlle suggestion:try a Trace Elliot head through an SWR or Eden cabinet(s):great sound in my opinion!

5. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    Amoilbasso: would you mind telling me what models of SWR or Eden models of Cabs sound good with the Trace ELliot.. And is the price range around the same? cost more? less?

DM

6. oo0o00o0oo

oo0o00o0oo

Apr 30, 2000
    Chicago
    Before I got my 2 TE 210's, I played my Trace head through an SWR Goliath III. I think it sounded better than my current setup, only the Goliath cab wouldn't fit in my friends car.

7. Amoilbasso

Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000
    Florence
    I tryed my old RAH 300 SMX head through my actual Goliaths 3,and through a friend's of mine Triad 1(i later knew that I shouldn't have done it,for the different impedances...).I obiouvsly prefere my cabinets,but the Triad sounded good too.The cabinet choice depends on your taste and needs:I
    prefere 4X10 because I do a lot of slap,and because I think that with a couple of 4X10,I don't need 1X15 anymore:but these are only my choices,not the Standard...
    I have to be honest:never tryed a Trace head with Eden cabinet....sorry:they are very similar to SWR,so they should be oK too.
    The reason why I liked SWR+TRACE is that they were complementary:
    Trace heads gives you Agrresivity,versatilty,powerness,great and powerfull mids,hi-mids and low-mids.
    The Swr cabinets gives you:
    Hi-Fi quality,hot and round basses,crispy clear and Tranparence Highs,great slap tone.
    SWR gives Trace what it lacks,and viceversa:in fact I was just thinking abot buing a Trace head again to alternate my SWR SM 400s
    In Italy SWR and Eden stuff costs more than Trace;but I think that in the USA it is the opposite;SWR and Eden should be in the same price-range.
    P.S
    I tryed also the opposite solution:Trace cabs+SWR head:awful......

8. shreave

shreave

Jul 12, 2000
    Seattle. WA USA
    I use a Trace GP7SM containing a 300W power module through a SWR Goliath II (rear ported unlike the Goliath III) and the sound reproduction is great. Key word....reproduction. This rig will let any bass sound like the builder wanted it to sound which is my preference. If you are looking for a rig to 'color' your sound this isn't it. Although if you are looking for a good clean and powerful setup this will make you smile.
    It is important to note that if you play a five string, the 4x10 will not deliver the lows you'll want. In this case I will occasionally add an 8 ohm 15" cabinet. BOOM!

9. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    shreve: then again.. I really like 4s :) if i get a 5 string. It will have a higher C :)

DM