Advice on tube heads?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by toby, Feb 15, 2005.

1. toby

Feb 10, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    Its time i made the jump to a tube head. I play in a 5 piece rock band (2 guitars, drums bass & vocals) And am ready to go spend a bunch on money on a tube head. Im looking at the aguilar db 750, amped svt, or fender bassman 300. Anyone have any input on those 3, or another suggestion of their own?
    Playing a tobias/p bass/ musicman sterling.
  2. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Don't forget older Sunn amps, a Mesa/Boogie 400+, Traynor YBA200... you know the Aggie DB750 is a hybrid right? The 680/728 would be all tube, or 659/728 with the 680 and 659 being two different preamps, the 728 an all tube power amp. Orange makes an excellent all tube head... Eden... a few more I can't think of off the top of my head. But good call man, tube heads rule! What kind of sound are you looking for and what kind of music is it? Oh yeah, congrats on the Sterling I love mine!
  3. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I love aguilar and would recommend the 750. However, it is not an all tube head. Only the preamp is tube and the power amp is Mosfet. Still alot of power.

Other cosiderations may be the Mesa 400+
  4. toby

Feb 10, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    Thanks guys, oh yeah, I realize the db 750 is hybrid. Im using bbe bmax pre-amp now so I was thinking about going with a db 728 and someday spending the 1500 on a tube pre-amp as well. The style of music I play is somewhere between the beatles and Early Pearl Jam. Really love Colin Greenwood's sound in OK computer.
  5. protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    +1 for sunn amps

The Fender Bassman 300 is the same as the Sunn 300T a killer head with gobs of power, tone and flexability. Serious contender for my first tube amp next to a REAL Sunn.

You can't go wrong with Aguilar either. If you can try and demo a Kustom GrooveBass it's a hybrid amp not full blown tube.
  6. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
  7. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

well, I gotta vote with my choice....
    ...Demeter VTHF 300M......all tube goodness.