Advice on Warwick new vs. used

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RiverFunk, Dec 17, 2004.

1. Tomorrow I'll be checking out two Warwick Streamer LX4 basses on different stores. One is a new bass; the other, an used '97 one in good condition, for 80% of the new one's price. I have played the used one, that had me drooling, but I fear of missing something if I get the new one.

As I'm not sure I'll learn this just by playing the basses instore, I'll ask.. Is the '97 model absolutely a better bass than the new one? I would prefer to get the new one, but I want the better bass! Any advices?

Attached Files:

2. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    which sounds best and plays best to you?

thats the most important.
    they dont make the lx anymore so the new one is prob from 2002 id buy second hand and save the dosh for a setup and new strings
  3. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    LX? isn't there a spector euro LX?
    Do they have something in common?
  4. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I think a 97 is waaay better than a new one, and will almost definitely be worth more in the long run. I have a 97 corvette and IMO (and many others) it doesn't compare with what warwick is spitting out today. Also, did I understand correctly? The old one is 80% cheaper than the new one?!?!!!??? If that were the case I'd have absolutely no question as to which to buy. You could always buy a new one in addition to the 97, 20% of your savings down the line.
  5. The old one is 80% the price of the new one (20% cheaper). So it's worth that?
  6. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Duh! My bad. I think I'd still go with the 97, although I know the deal with wanting something brand new. I like new stuff. Something about it that says MINE! Some people feel used things have more spirit to them, have different people's enrgies and stuff injected into them. I dunno. The older Warwics really are better than the newer. The wenge nexks alone make them more valuable. I actually think I'd play the hell out of both of em and let my gut decide.
  7. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Warwick has really went to **** recently, which is a shame, because there older stuff (pre 98') is excellent in quality, tone, and playability.
  8. Thanks. I'll say to that new bass, you better be good like your older brother, shiny boy.
  9. Been a little while, but I got that 97, here it is! Thanks for the help

Attached Files:

10. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Well, personally I prefer the older models with the Wenge necks, but you can find some really good new ones as well, they're just more hit and miss now like Fenders are. In fact, one of the best sounding Warwicks that I have ever played was a new Thumb BO 5 string which sounded better than every single Thumb NT that was in stock, and better than both used Thumb BO and NT's with Wenge necks that were in stock too, so you really have to play them and decide what works for you. The days of picking up any Warwick off the wall that are jaw-dropping are over, but occasionally you will find a great one. Take your time and find the right one, but the that used one in the pic looks sweet!
  11. I can't compare this 97 with any other "quality" bass, for it's the first and only real good bass I have played yet (I'm not into playing something at a store for five minutes). I suddenly sound better since I got it. The word that always comes to my mind is "wood". You can feel that the wood is great when you play it, it's just such a woody bass, with a smooth, even, focused sound and great sustain.

About the Spector Euro LX, I'm intrigued. Their basses have the exact same look as Streamers.. I don't know what happened there, although I don't think those have the same organic feel as a Wick.