Advice on what tutorial to start out with

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by fnp5150, Oct 6, 2017.

1. fnp5150

fnp5150

Sep 18, 2017
    Valdosta,GA
    Ok, so I have what I need to get started learning to play bass and I've been watching numerous internet/YouTube based methods of instruction, but I would like some opinions from other's who've gone this route. I don't want to skip around doodling with 3-4 different instructors, I hope to pick the right one to start with. Private instruction is very lacking in my area, so that's out. I want something that will teach me in a way that will give me a good foundation to build on, such as learning to read bass lines and scales. On the other hand, I don't need a PhD in theory, and I would like to be taught to play songs (easy ones) earlier than later. I have many years of structured music experience due to playing the sax in jazz bands, but I need to translate it to the bass. Treating myself as a complete newbie, because thinking like a bass player and reading bass clef is completely different than what I'm used to. What have you guys tried that provided a good, well rounded instructional method, and most importantly, has a easy to navigate and use web site/channel? TalkingBass and TeachMeBassGuitar are 2 that I have read the most about, any experience with those? Any others?

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
  2. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
    Scotts Bass Lessons gets a lot of praise around here. If you do a search, you'll find threads about it. As for "being taught to play songs..." it would be much more beneficial to listen closely to the bass lines in simple songs (to start with) and try to copy/play along using your ear..and trial and error.

Online Bass Lessons - Scott's Bass Lessons

A book worth checking out (your local library might have it ) is "Bass Guitar for Dummies".

Here is a set of Youtube lessons that IMO are great because they run chronologically, starting very basic and building from there.

Best of luck. :)

3. fnp5150

fnp5150

Sep 18, 2017
    Valdosta,GA
    Thanks, that's one I haven't seen before. I'll give it a close look and see if it's something that I can grow with as I learn, though it may work out better to go with one series to learn the basics and another one may be more suited to more intermediate lessons. I've watched several from Scott's and like them, but for me, he spends a little too much time shooting the breeze, and not much on teaching.

4. fnp5150

fnp5150

Sep 18, 2017
    Valdosta,GA
    Learn Bass looks like a great resource, gonna give it a try. Funny how it seems you need to be British in order to teach bass LOL

5. I do best from books - first - then go to the videos next. Bass Guitar for Dummies is a great get started book in that it starts off with how to hold the bass, how to get sound from it, etc. Basic stuff you need to get started.

There are a zillion how to play sites. The ones mentioned are good, I'd add www.talkingbass.net

Good luck.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
  6. JimHouchin

JimHouchin

Mar 19, 2016
    If you have the funds.... personal instruction is CERTAINLY the only way to go. That said, you nailed it, it has to be GOOD personal instruction. Again, if you're serious about it I know a great instructor. (I could dissolve into bunch of fanboy B.S. and the like but bottom line I have ALL the materials from ALL the authors (Friedland, Johnson, Stinnit) and ALL the LIFETIME web memberships (Scotts, Marks, Nitty) and all the YouTube subscriptions AND all the previous BAD instructors you can stand! Studying with Mr. Hubbard over skype for the last 6 months has surpassed the last 6 years of music study I "attempted.") I M H O if you want to understand the bass and learn to be a well rounded player, Joe can get you there. I wish you much luck on your journey! I know I feel blessed to be well down the right path.

Joe Hubbard Bass Lessons

7. Treebeard

Treebeard

Jun 5, 2016
    Cary, NC
    Bear Light Symphony, TimepeaceNC Band
    Talkingbass.net is great

jgmalarkey and The Rage like this.
  8. Dogbertday

Dogbertday Commercial User

Jul 10, 2007
    SE Wisconsin
    Blaine Music LLC
    If there arent any instructors in your area, skype lessons are always an option. Get a hold of players you like and ask if they do them maybe?

9. Low8

Low8 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Find a video, book, dvd, cassette, carrier pigeon that will teach you the 12-bar blues.

Early on my path, someone gave me a book & cassette combo that had the basics, including instruction on the 12-bar blues in E. I don't think anything I've ever learned has taught me more about playing rock, blues and country than that.

10. rocu

rocu

Jan 28, 2015
    Missoula, MT
    ++ for the Dummies book and Talkingbass.net.

11. fingerguy

fingerguy Inactive

Aug 2, 2016
    CT
    Learn the difference between half to whole steps and the open notes. That alone will make it easier to find the notes and where. Then work on very basic easy songs for example:
    CSN&Y - Teach Your Children & Southern Cross
    VM - Brown Eye Girl
    Youngbloods - Get Together
    TP - Free Fallin'
    Ed Sheeran - What do I Know
    Allman Brothers - Midnight Rider (for a beginner it will be a bit tricky due to the groove and hammer-on but just stick with it)

fnp5150 likes this.
  12. I'll add, Louie Louie, Hang On Sloopy and Wild Thing. That's a three for one. You'll feel like a rock god tonight. :smug:

fnp5150 likes this.
  13. fnp5150

fnp5150

Sep 18, 2017
    Valdosta,GA
    Used Learn Bass today from YouTube. Was going to skip the first 2-3 lessons that were for absolute newbies but I'm glad I didn't. Turns out, plucking a bass is COMPLETELY different than a guitar or banjo. I couldn't figure out why I sounded so crappy until I learned that you don't "pluck" a bass. He demonstrated it perfectly and now I sound a world better. It is NOT easy to switch from guitar to bass. Guitar is more your interaction with all the components and guitar, bass is much more personal between you, wood, and strings.

fearceol likes this.
  14. BassUrges

BassUrges

Mar 14, 2016
    Denver
    Studybass.com

Hal Leonard Bass Method (by Ed Friedland).

AshDrawsify and fnp5150 like this.
  15. XJ_Wheeler

XJ_Wheeler

Oct 20, 2016
    SGV-CA
    Pick away at these two books: Improvisers Bass Method and The Evolving Bassist
    Spend dedicated time that works for you for learning songs by ear

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
  16. I taught myself playing using resources here and there online. Would I have to start now, I would definitely go with Mark from talkingbass.net. I love his lessons and the way he delivers them: it's always packed with information and despite that it remains very clear to understand. I always learn something from one of his videos, even if it's about a topic I thought I knew pretty well.

I am also a big fan of MarloweDK and his youtube channel. He has so many great playalong videos. And a few slap introduction videos that are what really got me going at the beginning.

Good luck!

17. BtaylorTheRogue

BtaylorTheRogue

Nov 14, 2016
    This many sound dumb, but I swear by the white stripes albums, in order of release date.

Member8675309 likes this.
  18. Get the bass grimoire and a highlight marker

19. There are many instructors that offer private lessons over the internet. I think carol Kaye still offers lessons this way. She is a legitimate legend in the bass world.

20. Member8675309

Member8675309 Inactive

Aug 19, 2017
    Nashville, TN
    Use Riffstation. It's like using the Nashville Number System, only simplified. It will be rough going in the start, but it will force you to learn where the notes are on the neck, will help you develop a voice, and you can start playing music immediately. Just, my advice, choose a 3 chord song to begin with, stick to roots until you're comfortable.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 19, 2022