Advice on which strings for 60/70s sound?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Mikefish07, May 22, 2003.

1. Mikefish07

Apr 6, 2003
    We've been playing more oldies and I need that round deep sound. I know it's strange but I seem to get the sound when the strings need replacing. I've got a Yamaha BBeast 5 string and was wondering if anybody had suggestions on strings that will give me the sound out of the package. Thanks.
  2. Mikefish07

Apr 6, 2003
    I'm sorry I just read the posting rules and it says not to ask which strings to buy. Thought it was the quick way of getting advice since I want to pick some strings asap.
  3. No, Mikefish07, it says to do a search before you ask which strings you should buy - no one's perfect. ;)

You did include the bass you have and the style you want to emulate. :)

Anyway, I would suggest Dean Markley Blue Steel.
    They are one of the fullest sounding, not overly bright strings you can buy. They're also a VERY balanced string right out of the package. I have literally bought over a dozen packs of them in the last year, and I haven't had one dead string yet! These are roundwounds, but, if you roll the treble off, they can do a fairly good imitation of a flatwound. You said 60s/70s sound, but, this could range from Motown to Yes. Either way, the Deans will not let you down. They're about $30 for a 5 string set. I'd recommend the 2680 or 2680A set. The nickel set are a little darker than the stainless, but, the stainless are kind of dark compared to most other stainless sets.

Good luck.

4. billys73

Apr 25, 2003
    How bout some D'addario XL's? Roundwound but nice and warm sounding, very full.
  5. Mikefish07

Apr 6, 2003
    Thanks, I'll take a look at the Markley and D'addarios.