Advice on working on original Dan Armstrong Bass, need new bridge...?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mike CTW, Jan 14, 2002.

1. Mike CTW

Mike CTW

Jan 14, 2002
    Detroit MI
    Hello everyone this is my first visit to your rocking bass community. My question is concerning my Dan Armstrong bass... I have an original 1969-72 ish Lucite bass I picked up in a NY guitar shop.

I like it a lot and it meets my character well however I need to do a little work on it.

The bridge as you may or may not know is immovable and not adjustable. My bass is not intonating right maybe cuz we play in drop d. It is apparent i need to replace this bridge with a well suited and adjustable one. Does anyone have experience with what would fit. The are where the bridge goes in doesnt look very standard.

I am also getting a new pickup for it by kent armstrong, which should improve the tonal quality of it.

Also how would I go about polishing the lucite to get out the surface scratches? Does anyone have any experience working on one of these basses or lucite instruments as far as polishing?

Thanks for your time ill be excited to hear from you.

2. stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    hi there,

out of curiosity, how much did you get your dan armstrong for? i've also got an original dan armstrong bass. i picked up a set of replacement bridges on ebay a couple of years ago. you may be able to find extra bridges of varying sizes at vintage shops. you may also want to consider having someone make you a custom bridge, possibly one made out of bone. don't order one of the reissue bridges, the center pole piece is longer and it won't fit your bass. i had to learn the hard way. i had kent armstrong make me a custom pickup for my dan armstrong a while back. to tell you the truth, it was hard for me to hear much of a difference. his pickups are great though and the prices are reasonable so i guess it wouldn't hurt.

as far as getting the scratches out, you may find this page informative. it deals with getting scratches out of the ludwig vistalite drumsets but i think the concepts are applicable to the dan armstrong since both instruments are made of lucite.

good luck,

3. I've read that toothpaste and fine automotive polish are the best for lucite buffing.

The bridge is a pretty simple piece of rosewood - you could easily get one made (does the original ADAB have the separate brass saddle pieces like my reissue?).

The drop-D might also be the weakness here - I tried de-tuning my reissue to BEAD. Surprisingly good low-B for a shorty, but the intonation was a little goofy.
  4. stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca

the original bridges do not have the bass saddles.