1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Advice - Picking the Right Bass Head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by paris5, Aug 14, 2007.

1. paris5

paris5

Aug 6, 2007
    budding bassist (coverted guitarist)
    i play in a modern/agressive rock band. i'm currently playing a line 6 variax bass, through an older fender bass combo.

i'm looking to upgrade my kit. i think i've decided on the avatar b212 (after reading some good reviews), as my cab (they can build it to 4 or 8 ohms). and now i need a good bass head.

any recommendations? i'm looking to keep it to $800, or less, but could be convinced to spend more.

my "ideas" so far-

swr workingpro 400
    ashdown mag300h
    ampeg b2re
    ampeg svt3pro

any recommendations would be welcome.

cheers.

2. For $800, I'd take a a long hard look at the Carvin B1500, if I were you. For my tastes it's markedly superior to any of the choices you mention. But YMMV, of course.

Depending on how "aggressive" your band is, and where you play, you might also want to think about picking up a second cab somewhere down the line.

EDIT: Or did you mean $800 in total, for head and cab? If so, my recommendation would be out of your price range, unless you get lucky on the used market.

3. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    +1 on Carvins... They have excellent bang-for-buck.

How do you like your Line6 Variax? I have a pair and love them!

- Dave

4. paris5

paris5

Aug 6, 2007
    i really like the line 6. it's a good sounding bass, with a lot of versatility. i certainly have no complaints.

5. paris5

paris5

Aug 6, 2007
    the $800 was for the head. the avatar b212 is about $350 after shipping.

i hadn't even thought or the carvins. i used to get their catalog all the time, in my guitar playing days. i haven't received one in a while. i'll have to check them out.

6. Do a search on the B1500 in this forum; there have been several good reviews, most notably by SMASH (one of the most painstaking reviews I've ever seen on TalkBass) and KJung.

7. i know someone will eventually suggest this but go used, you could find a real nice all tube head for that kindof cash, unless weight is an issue for you, or you just dont like tubes, ive also heard good thing about thunderfunk if ss is your thing, the svt 3 is a great amp but for the money you have i think you could do better

8. one

one

Aug 21, 2006
    Boston.UK
    LMII!!

-It won't burn a hole in your pocket
    -It won't break your back
    -Its very loud
    -It doesn't get very warm either when pushing it hard
    -It will get you compliments at gigs about your tone
    -chicks will dig you :hyper:

ok maybe not the last one, but definatly a great amp. Allthough i'd get a different amp if you plan on doing outdoor gigs, it may blow away :p OJ

9. seakamp

seakamp Supporting Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago
    Consider these ontop of the ideas you already have...

Carvin B1500 -new(2 ohm capable)
    Eden WT550 - used(2 ohm capable)
    Mesa Mpulse600 - used(4 ohm min - I believe)
    Markbass LMII - new(4 ohm min)

The top 2 heads will allow you more flexibility on which cabs you can hook up in unison. Good luck... soooo many choices!

10. Paulitics

Paulitics

Apr 12, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    First I recommend you go down to the local music shop and play as many amps as you can.

One brand that hasn't been mentioned which i suggest you try is Gallien-Krueger. Some people like the tone some don't but I think in an aggressive rock band they will really help you cut through in a live band situation. They have a good reputation around here and great deals can be found online.

11. rummy

rummy

Apr 17, 2006
    Lombard, IL
    LMII

12. Thinkarogadum

Thinkarogadum

Jun 11, 2006
    NE OH
    Another vote for the Carvin B1500, or a Kustom Groovebass 1200. Both are 2 ohm capable, so you can add another 4 ohm cab later on if you're hungry for more volume. That way you can get max power out of either head.