Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Advice Please - Can't decide on BG S15D

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mikefish07, May 18, 2003.

1. Mikefish07

Mikefish07

Apr 6, 2003
    Help! I've been going back and forth on this question. I thought I was getting the perfect setup with a Eden WT550 and EA CXL112II. But when a store let me try a Bag End S15D speaker this weekend it was louder than the EA. I understand that a 12 can't push as much air as a 15 but I could also make the EA fart but no matter what I tried I couldn't do it to the BagEnd. I need advice on whether to return it or not. The BagEnd doesn't have any speakon and is in mint condition for $300.

Is $300 a good price for an old stock?
    Would you guys keep the BagEnd even though you have an EA?
    Would stacking the two be good even though one is 200W and the other 350W?
    Is the BagEnd the smallest and lightest 15 around?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

2. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    If you like the sound of the Bag End keep it! That's a good price. Was the EA CXL112 the older heavier version or the new light version?

3. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    For about $40 you can upgrade the Bag with a new factory switchplate. I really like my Bags. $300 for NOS is goot - they're usually around $400.

I think the S15-D is still about as small as you'll get for a quality 15. I know the new "custom" S15 has a lot of appeal, but a pair of them won't fit in the trunk of my car!

Several people here run one S15-D with a 12, but I'm not sure about your specific combination. You may want to try a search.

4. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I am seriously considering picking up two S15D's this week. I am currently using a Bergantino HT112, and it is one of the nicest sounding cabs I have ever played. However for Blues or Rock, I don't think you can do much better than Bag End 15's. They are small, and can take a lot of abuse. Don't get me wrong, the Bergantino(as well as the EA) are fabulous cabinets, it depends on what you are using if for.

5. Mikefish07

Mikefish07

Apr 6, 2003
    Thanks for the feedback. I'm still going back and forth on this one. I like the loudness and price of the BagEnd but like the tone and portability of the EA. When I bought the EA I told myself that I only needed one cab and it would be my main one.

Thanks HeavyDuty for the info on the switch plate I called BagEnd and they were very helpful and it cost $35 but the shipping is about $17.

6. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    How do you like the WT550? How does it compare to the WT400?

7. Mikefish07

Mikefish07

Apr 6, 2003
    Acme Bass Co.:
    I'm still trying to get use to it. For example, I followed the instructions and adjusted the gain before the compression light comes on, but I notice the output limiter LED comes on with the master only at about 10 o'clock. I think it's alot louder than a WT400 with the same sound. I've been using SWR stuff for a long time so I'm still getting use to the sound difference.

8. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Mike: I'm near the factory, and can ship it for considerably less. You'd have to pay tax if I picked it up, though.

Man, those WT550s are generating a lot of interest. I'm saving up for a new head (almost there!), and that's one of the three I'm considering and the leading contender right now.

9. Mikefish07

Mikefish07

Apr 6, 2003
    HeavyDuty:

Hey thanks for the offer of picking it up but if and when I finally decide to get the BagEnd my dealer told me he could order it for less.

About the WT550, I was looking for a powerful small amp head and was ready to get the WT400 after comparing it with a Mesa Walkabout when they annouced the 550. I'm happy with it except that mine had some quality control problem being the first bunch distributed. By the time you get yours they'll have fixed everything. The funny thing is that I had wanted to carry the amp in the gig bag that Eden has, but they won't have any for a long time so I had to buy a Mesa Walkabout gig bag which was cheaper and fits perfectly. Everytime I bring it somewhere people comment that I have a walkabout and to their surprise I slip out the Eden.

10. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Another vote for keeping the EA CXL112II and buying the Bag End S15-D. That way you could stack them when needed or use one or the other separately when needed.

11. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Mike, check with Bag End before you order - it was only a few bucks extra to have my first cab built with a Speakon. I thought you were going for one out of dealer stock.

12. I've got a BagEnd Q10BX-D and it sounds great!!!:bassist:

I'm currently looking at maybe picking up an ELF 18 from them in the next year or two, cuz it's got a rediculously large amount of low end.

I personally haven't played out of a 15, but i imagine it would sound much like the 18 i tried. How old is this cabinet? Is it still on warranty? It may be worth your while to spend the extra few bucks to make sure you get that massive 6 year warranty!! IMO, it's worth the extra buck.

Living in Canada, I had to pay a pretty buck for my BagEnd 4x10($1550) but it's worth every penny. It's never quit on me, and has always givin me the punch, clarity, and warmth i expect.

I'd persoanlly keep the EA. EA's are sexy as well, and IMO would be a nice addition to a 15.

~Zentner

13. Mikefish07

Mikefish07

Apr 6, 2003
    Just wanted to say thanks for all the feedback. I did finally decide to buy the BagEnd S15D and got it for just under $300. It had been in the store's warehouse for five years and they just wanted to move it. What sold me was the BagEnd customer service and the price. It has a very different sound from the EA cab and actually more my style of music (i.e., the motown sound).

HeavyDuty: Thanks for the tip on the newer switchplate my store ordered it for less than what I would have had to pay.

14. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Awesome man! I just picked up an S15X-D and a S15D at a killer clearance price. I could not be happier. They are the clearest sounding 15's I have ever played. I think there is something special about the Eden/Bag End setup. They seem to work really well together.:)

15. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I know I said "switchplate", but I meant "jackplate". Too much home repair on the mind!

Can I ask what your dealer wanted for the jackplate? I may be able to save a few bucks by going through a dealer - I need two. I suspect I pay full retail when I go to Bag End direct.

16. Mikefish07

Mikefish07

Apr 6, 2003
    HeavyDuty:
    BagEnd quoted me $35 for the jackplate (2 1/4" and 2 speakon jacks) and $17 for shipping to Hawaii. My Dealer said the part would be about $5 less and the shipping would also be a little less. I use mostly speakon cables so your tip really helps. Thanks.

17. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I think what I'd save in th eprice of the jackplate would be eaten up by the cost of shipping, even locally. I guess I'll just go up to the factory like I planned.

These new jackplates were a long time coming - I've been waiting over a year! My first S15-D was built custom with a Speakon, but it was fixed on the +2/-2 pair, which is weird. The new one allows you to choose which pair to use - no more custom cable to convert from +1/-1 to +2/-2.

18. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I have both the S15D and the CXL 112. Here's my take. I like them both a lot. But when I play/practice alone I like the S15D better. It's got a bit more old school mid punch. BUT in the band mix I like the CXL 112 better. It's clarity really makes my bass jump through the mix.Even the guys in the band notice the difference. They are equally good for the rooms we play. If I want to move serious air (which is almost never) I can pair them up.
    I run them with an Eden Wt-500.

19. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Great. Now, if you want to hear something truly scary, try what I use, a Nahas 1-12 on top of it:
    My rig

My main rig is either an S15-D topped with a 400w Nahas 1-12 or the same Nahas cab on top of a Nahas small 15 cab. It's truly a "sounds too good to be true rig".

I also get great results with my EAs and BE D10BX-D coax 210 cab.

20. Mikefish07

Mikefish07

Apr 6, 2003
    Hey DaveB:
    Can I ask you some questions since you have almost the identical setup. Have you paired them up and how does it sound? What kind of EQ settings are you using? Does your output limit light come on all the time even with your master half way? Thanks.
    P.S. Your right about the EA cab, it does have more definition but for raw bass the BagEnd has it.