Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Advice Please- Custom Shop or Deluxe?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mikefish07, Apr 17, 2004.

Which one would you choose?

Poll closed Apr 24, 2004.
  1. Fender Custom Shop Classic Jazz V Bass

7 vote(s)
    28.0%
  2. Fender American Deluxe V QMT Bass

2 vote(s)
    8.0%
  3. Fender Custom Shop Reggie Hamilton V Bass

5 vote(s)
    20.0%
  4. Yamaha Nathan East II Bass

11 vote(s)
    44.0%
  1. Mikefish07

Mikefish07

Apr 6, 2003
    Can you give me some advice? I can get a Fender custom shop Jazz V classic or a Fender American Deluxe V QMT but I'm having trouble decide because the Dlx has all the bell & whistles while the custom doesn't even have active circuitry. Is the custom shop bass that much better than an American Dlx? I'm also looking at the Custom Shop Reggie Hamilton model and comments. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Actually the custom classic does have active circuitry, the very same as the one on the American Deluxe. The Deluxe FMT and QMT are almost as expensive as the custom classic, so it depends which look you want, traditional Fender or modern maple top look. I'd say the custom shop would have better build quality, but I'm sure Fender has good quality control on the FMT and QMT basses.

That said, go Reggie Hamilton! If P/J is your thing, this bass can nail tons of tones. It's way more expensive though.

3. Mikefish07

Mikefish07

Apr 6, 2003
    Thanks jenderfazz,
    My dealer called fender and they told him that the Custom Classic is passive but I always wondered about that since it has a three band eq. The Custom Classic and the QMT/FMT would be about a couple hundred difference with the Classic being more. Is it really worth it? The QMT/FMT has the new SMC pickups while the Classic only has the noiseless. The reggie hamilton is several hundred more but I can't get it in a color I like.

4. The Reggie hamilton is a completely different bass.
    The American Deluxe has a less than mediocre B-string. I have played the Custom Classic and is is the better bass if you ask me. Pickups are not important. The Fender Noiseless pickups sound excellent anyhow. The quarter sawn neck of the Custom Classic makes the difference.
    But..it is still a Fender, and while Fender makes great 4-string basses, the B-string on their 5's is not very good. I have played many Fender 5's and have encountered only one with a tight B-string; and yes, you guessed right, the D and G-string were bad. No body.
    If you want a really good 5-string jazz, think Sadowsky for example. And for the price of a new Fender Custom Classic, you can get a Sadowsky Metro for sure. Maybe even a used NYC Vintage 5 if you are very lucky. Anyhow, since you are looking for a 5-string jazz model, don't limit your choice to Fender only, because, and I will say it again: Fenders do NOT have very good B-strings.

Good luck, and choose wisely.

5. Mikefish07

Mikefish07

Apr 6, 2003
    Seems everybody has something good to say about Sadowsky. The problem I have is out here in Hawaii there isn't any dealer and I'm not sure where is the best place to get one. We have a fender and Yamaha dealers but no Sadowsky. I have small hands and the Fender five string necks seems very wide.

6. I think you can buy a Sadowsky directly from the site, but I'm not certain. Although you may want to try it first.

7. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    You can definitely buy directly from Sadowsky and you can also order a bass to built especially for you. I was told it takes about eight months to get a bass out from scratch at the present.

8. Mikefish07

Mikefish07

Apr 6, 2003
    Gee, eight months, I guess since I can't see and feel a Sadowsky I'll stick to the Fenders or Yamaha. Seems the Yamaha is leading in the poll.

9. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    If you want a Fender style bass, check out a KSD 60s or 70s 5-String. These can be had for under $800, some are selling them for around $650. They have a 35" scale and a tight B-string. I have personally played one and may pick one up at the first of the month.

10. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Mike,
    Since you're considering the custom shop (and I think that there are many other-and better-options to the Custom Shop), have you considered any of the other high-end Fender-style basses? There are a handful of builders who make excellent Fender-style basses and there might be some dealers on the islands. It might be something worth checking into before you commit yourself to a custom shop instrument.

11. Mikefish07

Mikefish07

Apr 6, 2003
    JPJ,
    I've been driving myself crazy for the last year trying to find the perfect five string that doesn't cost as much as a car. I like the Yamaha since I had an orignal older model nathan east. Out here the stores don't carry high end basses which makes it hard to try anything. I've narrowed it to MTD535, Yamaha BBNE2, Custom Classic V, American Dlx V and Reggie Hamilton Custom. Also, I have small hands so the narrower the neck the better. Any further suggestions?

12. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Boy....that can be frustrating, and it makes it really tough to make a decision. If you have small hands, that might be an issue for just about any standard 5-string jazz. When it comes to 5s, you shouldn't have an issue with the depth/thickness of the neck, but I imagine what will get you will be the width. Outside of going custom, I'm not sure if I have any good recommendations for a 5-string jazz with really tight string spacing. :(

13. if you are looking for a 5-string jazz you should also look at Mike Lull basses. I think you will find that most 5-string jazz basses and more classic style 5 stringers will have a wider neck. there are many great custom bass builders out there but I know that getting your hands on one can be very hard.

I know that music man stingray 5's have narrower string spacing and are great basses if you like the tone and looks. they are pretty widely available too.

14. Mikefish07

Mikefish07

Apr 6, 2003
    I have a Stingray 5 now and the neck is narrower than the Fender V but it has one sound. I'm wondering if all Fender five string necks are the same?

15. Mikefish07

Mikefish07

Apr 6, 2003
    Anymore votes? comments?