Advice please - lightweight bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by srj, Sep 2, 2003.

1. Due to back problems i have to buy a very light bass (i was in an accident ) . Now i do like playing the bass and the only way i can continue is to find one that is very light .I've been looking around and wondered if any one had any suggestions.
    I would prefer a 34inch scale as i don't think shorter scales have the right low end sound. But then agian i may have to accept shorter scale bass .
    I have been looking at some acoustic basses like the Washburn AB10, or one of those Hofner basses .
    Any help suggestions , ideas would be appreciated.
  2. jazzcatb17

Dec 27, 2002
    Louisville, Ky
    Cort Curbow. Horribly ugly, but light and toneful
  3. Replying to JMX
    Errr i'm guessing you mean the bass with the acoutic holes in ........
    2600 grams , not to sure what that is in lbs(pounds)
    hhhhhmmmmm no we will have to lighter i think!!!
  4. To lonote49
    Yeah i think they might be light , but i just dont like the shape of those reverends
  5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    The bass weighs 5,73 pounds (when do you guys finally go metric!!! :confused: ), you'll be hard pressed to find a lighter one.
    The soundholes are an option, they make no difference in weight since the bass is a hollow "monocoque" design made from a composite material.
  6. To jazzcatb17
    That curbow looks interesting , but i'm not too sure hoe light it is , unfortunately i need some thing 5 lbs or less .
  7. how about rob allen basses?
    light and beautiful:

8. That is lighter than i thought , will take a second look . Thanks
  9. To skguitarsbasses
    Wow thats looks like an excellent bass
    err so how many Euros do i have to spend !!!
    Is there a web site for that
  10. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    Since you're in Europe, have you tried a Vigier?
    I have an Excess 1 that's feather light and sounds
    HEAVY! 3.2 kgs about 7 lbs.
  11. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    5 lbs or les! wow! i didnt think that existed. the parker fly basses are 7 lbs (i believe) and they're supposed to be ground breaking in the weight department. a bit overpriced IMO, but i thought they were the lightest.

danelectros are pretty feather-weighted also, and i think they sound great.
  12. Warwick Streamer Standards are really light. My five string weighed about 7 1/2 pounds. They're not terribly expensive, either. They're discontinued, though, so it might be tough to find one. The new Rockbass Streamer Standards have maple/rosewood necks with the carolena body, so they might even be lighter.
  13. like someone already said the Reverends are very light and great to play. and I have found spectors to be on light side also.
  14. jazzcatb17

Dec 27, 2002
    Louisville, Ky
    well i honestly cant say i know exactly what a curbow weighs, but it's not more than 7 and very well may be in the 5 pound range
  15. chardin

Sep 18, 2000
    Rick Turner Renaissance bass guitars are light. His web site seems to be down or broken. However, you can see some pictures here
  16. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Those Cort Curbow are light enough to make you doubt it isn't some kind of expensive toy. But, It is serious. The plastic body is an enigma. I've got a fretless-4. I just wish I had got it lined. The bass feels small and makes it difficult to find the right note, higher on the neck. And, I think you can find them in 5 or 6. I'd get it off Ebay. I don't really think its a 800 dollar guitar(List price)(IMO):)
  17. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    What you want is the Bacram Balsa. It's a very high quality hand-made bass by Tom Bacram. It has a basswood top laminate for strength and durability, and it weighs LESS THAN 4 POUNDS, believe it or not. The neck is made of yucca wood from Joshua Tree, CA. It's covered with fiberglass for strength. Unlike the cruddy Wishnevsky's, this bass has a truss rod and is beautifully detailed, and the fit and finish are superb. I'll try to get some pics.
  18. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Peavey, from what I have played, seem to be purty damned light.