Advice please: To buy/not buy a custom build!?!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by El Slap, May 10, 2012.

1. El Slap

El Slap

Oct 8, 2011
    East Bay, CA
    So, the seller gave me the name of the seller, which got 0 Google results... uh huh. So I started looking through ebay per millsbass5's suggestion, and low and behold:

basically the same bass

also basically the same, except a 7 and with hardward

The guy claimed to have two of the basses custom made from "handpicked wood" for $3k. What an a$$hole! Even if the bass played awesome and I talked the price down, I would never buy from a liar and a scammer. THANK GOD FOR TB!! And all of you :).

Any suggestions for a versatile 5er for a slap-happy dude? (Most of the time I'm not playing funk, but I won't buy a bass that doesn't have good slap tone.) At the moment a Warwick Jazzman 5 is looking mighty tempting...

2. Worldeeeter

Worldeeeter Inactive

Mar 29, 2010
    Asheville, NC
    Here you go:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Spector-Eur...40?pt=Guitar&hash=item2c65506d74#ht_818wt_922

3. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    For a slap happy dude - Ibanez ATK 5 string - tremendous bang for the buck.
    MusicMan 5, or Marcus Miller Jazz 5 - also great.

You can hear my ATK (4 string) being slapped on a variety of Funkranomicon videos - here are three:

4. Xxyion

Xxyion

May 10, 2012
    A lot has to do with WOW factor. s stated from a lot of people before. Play it, look at it. At that point think of the HIGHEST that you would ever pay for it. Then reduce that by about 200-400 and you have a price range that should seem right.

5. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Glad you discovered was just a ordinary low price unknown maker bass. The odd upper horn and gaudy fretwork made me think chaep chinese bass trying to look like fancy boutique when I saw it for some reason

6. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt

Sep 20, 2000
    Nashville,TN
    Endorsing Artist: Kiesel, Carvin, Accuracy, Hotwire, Conklin Basses, DNA, Eden
    Late to the party, but that's definitely an Antoniotsai. They're all over Ebay for 1/2 that and typically require some fretwork, TLC, etc. This from a former Antoniotsai 7 owner.

7. Steveaux

Steveaux Safe-Guardian of the Stoopid Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2008
    The Wilds of NW Pa.
    A local country player has one just like this. Well, the neck inlay is more of a floral pattern. Sounds like poo.

Glad you dodged it.

8. TRichardsbass

TRichardsbass Inactive Commercial User

Jun 3, 2009
    Between Muscle Shoals and Nashville
    Bassgearu, Music Industry Consulting and Sales. Tech 21, NBE Corp, Sonosphere.
    See, TB nerds to the rescue!

9. Steveaux

Steveaux Safe-Guardian of the Stoopid Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2008
    The Wilds of NW Pa.
    It's ..... what we do.

10. genmed42

genmed42

Dec 31, 2011
    At least you went with your instinct and did not pull the trigger on it, yeah I hate [email protected]@/& scammers! oh good thing is that he's stuck with his pos.

11. El Slap

El Slap

Oct 8, 2011
    East Bay, CA
    Yeah, I've been seeing that bass on CL for a while now, and wondered why it hasn't been bought up by some freaky (mostly likely TBer) bass collector with money. I'm going to contact CL and notify them that they have a scammer on their hands. Still looking for that first 5er to accompany my Warwick Corvette. Got MM, Warwick, and now Spector on my radar....

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021