1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Advice please: what E&A's to pair with Anima D&G?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Monki, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Monki

Monki

Aug 3, 2007
    Sweden
    Hi!

I could need some thoughts on what E&A strings there are to match with my Anima D & G. The Animas are there to stay (probably not but anyway...), but I'm not quite sure what to use on the bottom. The Anima E & A just don't work for me on my bass, too loose and slow to speak.Then I've used Obligatos for quite a while, a surprisingly nice combo I think, but I got tired of the obligatos rolling (mostly in thumb position) and stuff and sometimes sound a bit "plastic". Now I've got Helicore Hybrid lights, OK but feels a bit too thinn and a little bit loose, not as loud either..

Want something with pretty low tension (close to obligatos), that doesn't roll, clearer and quicker speaking on the bottom than animas were too me, and not TOO bright. Also something bowable, but obligatos, animas and helicores have worked fine for me anyway...

Thinking a bit I should try spiro wheichs, but my concern is maybe they will be too bright for me? Know people who use weichs and animas and sound great (Eivind Opsvik for example). IF they work for me I'd like the idea that they'll probably last for ever...:)

Any other ideas folks? Am I missing some other good options?

2. You got it. Dead Spiro Weichs.

3. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Too slow?... I dunno, they're a nice set. But maybe either Spiros or Evah Pirazzis, either gauge depending on your preference. Gamuts guts are very quick and faaaat too, but they're expensive, and then you'll just want plain Gamut tops, and then you'll be broke.

I've played all of these strings BTW, so I'm not blowing smoke outta my thang.

The Spiros on my bass right now are not overly bright. They seem like they would match with just about anything up top.

4. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Yep, that would be fine...

5. Monki

Monki

Aug 3, 2007
    Sweden
    Yes, they are nice, but to me they were difficult to articulate with, mostly on the A and E. Felt too loose and "slow-speaking". Much better with strings with a bit more tension. Could be a matter of technique (me being slow...;)), my bass or setup, but I still want something clearer on the bottom anyway.

How are the tension on Evah weichs? From what I've read they're not that low-tension, or? Compared to Obligatos? Think they could blend with animas?

6. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Tension of Evah Weichs are close to Spiro Mittel.

I'm not sure I have a recomendaiton for you. Velvet strings always seem to meet to match well with other Velvet strings, but if I did it would be Pirastro Jazzers E and A. Gauge similar to Sprirocore Mittel, tension similar to Spirocore Weich and they have a sexy, bounce to them that I happen to like.

But, I can't say that I've tried exactly what you're thinking, so take it with a grain of salt.

7. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    I'd worry about matching Evahs or Spiros tensionwise with Velvets. I tried using Evahs and Spiro Weich and Reds E,A with D,G guts and the tension was the hardest thing. I also thing it made my bass sound funny.

Personally I love how lower tension strings make my bass sound. I loved Evahs but they are high tension and I felt like I was getting the big tone out of brute force. With the lower tension strings I feel like my bass just resonates more and is just as loud with far less work.

Personally I'd put the full set of Velvets on for a few months and let them break in and your bass get used to the lower tension before you give up on them.

8. Monki

Monki

Aug 3, 2007
    Sweden
    First of all, nice to get all this input guys, thanks!

Fingers: Well, I actually started with full set of animas for a year, then did the obligato E&A for another year, then tried the full anima set again for some time and then got to Helicores since 4-5 months or so. So these strings are by far played in, and bought a "new" lightly used top pair of Animas this fall from a talkbasser.

Also like lowish tension, but don't mind mixing the velvets. I think it's nice to have something loose on top and and bit more tension on the bottom, works fine for me. Also my sound ideal and playing has changed a lot since I first had Animas, so it's also a matter of taste really.

TroyK: Pretty thick with not so strong tension and a sexy bounce sounds nice! ;) Gonna check out more about the jazzers..

Still spiro weichs might be the leader so far..

9. Bobby King

Bobby King Supporting Member

May 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    My recent favorite has been Spiro Solo gauge (at regular pitch). I use these with Gamut guts on top and love the combination. I'm sure they'd also go well with Animas. Spiro Weichs are also a good choice, they are a little brighter and have a bit more tension than the Solos.

10. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    Cool. Glad you gave them a good try. I only say that because I found it to my bass time to really get used to the lower tension.

Of the stuff mentioned I had the best luck using an E and A Weich with the gut D and G.

The only reason I bring that up is Velvet says on their website that they make their strings to match the tension of gut.

11. JAS

JAS

Jul 3, 2001
    California
    Im using a set of Spiro Weichs with a Velvet Blue G string. Its a bit of an adjustment, but actually the Blue G is working quite well with the Spiro Weich set. The difference in tensions is noticeable, but not too bad. I would imagine the Animas would be somewhat similar - although the gauge of the Blue G matches so well with the Weichs...I know the Animas are thicker, so that could be an additional adjustment.

12. Monki

Monki

Aug 3, 2007
    Sweden
    If I get spiros I think weichs will be best. IF I'll try something else than animas on top I won't go in the gut direction anyway, so they might be more "allround".

I had some semi-busted Evah pirazzis - the regulars from what I understand - I saved from being trown away at a school, been thinking they would way too stiff and meaty for me, but I trew them on (E&A) as an experiment, mostly to see how more tension would be and maybe get an impression of what the Evah weichs would be about. Havn't really played much yet on them but the tension isn't killing my left hand (yet) as I thought. It actually works, the tension skipp is bigger, but not extreme to me. Very dark and powerfull, but still clear and plenty of sustain. Also tried some tango-ish bowing and especially on the E..wow!

Will keep them on for now and see. Free is always nice, but will keep an eye on the classifieds for used Spiros or perhaps Jazzers, wich I also think could be interesting...

13. Monki

Monki

Aug 3, 2007
    Sweden
    Also...my impression is that the the top pair Animas feels a bit stiffer next to strings with more tension. Don't know if it's true, but feels like it...

14. JAS

JAS

Jul 3, 2001
    California
    Monki, that may be true. I have noticed that both the Velvet Blue G feels like it has slightly more tension with the Spiro Weich set than it did with the full Velvet set AND the Weichs feel like they have a slightly lower tension than they did with a Sprio or Evah G. So they seem to kind of balance each other out slightly.

15. Monki

Monki

Aug 3, 2007
    Sweden
    Interesting.. Wonder if anyone else have thoughs on that?

Have been playing at home for almost 2 h today with the Evah P:s. Didn't feel like they were alot to stiff, but I thing they are in the long run for me. No idea how old they are, but I want something brighter and more "lively".

Pretty sure I want to try Spiro weichs, but moneys a bit thight atm so I'll hope to be able to get hold on some used ones sometimes soon, also allready broken in is a +. In the meantime I'll probably put the Helicore hybrids back on, or perhaps try the animas again.

16. Monki

Monki

Aug 3, 2007
    Sweden
    Ended up ordering a new pair of Spirocore weichs. Played them for over a week now and they feel good! Wasn't very zingy at all at first, just a bit on the A string, but it's gone now.. Looking forward to see them age and mellow though.

I tried to put on the whole anima set as I was waiting for the spiros to arrive, and I didn't think they were too slow or anything now, very clear sound, but too dark. Seems I prefer it brighter on the low stings these days. Anyway, going direcly from the full set to Spiro E&A now, the Anima D&G definitly feel stiffer and brigher with spiros (and other strings too i guess...)

Got into string-experementing though so I got curios to se, partly, how a bit more tension overall felt like. Put on my busted up Olive G that was buzzing last time I tried it, really had no hopes that I would stand it, but: no buzz this time! It's a mirracle! :smug: Put on a Innovation honey D that i've used as a cheapish replacement previusly, but works nice as a "bridge" between olive and spiros. This setup is much nicer to bow on also, wich I practice a lot now, so I'll actually leave the Animas for now...

17. Monki

Monki

Aug 3, 2007
    Sweden
    Happend too see that a pair of Gamut D&G actually cost about the same as Animas, so got curios. I AM a big fan of Charlie Haden (and his sound), so spiros and guts would be fun to try someday.. How does bowing on Gamuts compare to say, Animas, or other strings?

18. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    Personally I find bowing on Gamuts much easier than Animas. Even to the point where the guts make your technique shortcomings even more apparent. I find they are easy to get going but are really sensitive to bow pressure and speed.

19. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    For what you're describing, I think you're on the right path with the complete set of Spiro weich that you ordered. Give them time to burn in. Play with the height if you've got an adjustable bridge. There's a sweet spot and you may have to look for it for a while. Practice with them, Spriocores, more than any other strings I've tried are very complex and subtle changes in technique can produce different timbres. If you still think things are not quite right, maybe consult with a lutheir on a soundpost adjustment.

If you can resist the urge for a few years to go in search of the ultimate string combination, you'll save yourself a lot of money and grief. Give this set some time.

20. Monki

Monki

Aug 3, 2007
    Sweden
    Actually I didn't buy the whole set, just the E&A. Weich E&A, Inovation honey D and a resurrected Olive G is what I've got now. As for now I hope this set will last a while..if only the Olive survives and I don't try something else for the D. My feeling atm is that the Spiros feel good and will probably work out pretty well to match with just about anything. It would be cool to keep them on for like 10 years. Right now I'm happy and can always go back to my animas, so hopefully I won't have to buy any new strings in a while.:)

Thanx for input on Gamut! From what I've read around here, nice guts have quite some life leangth too...