1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Advice please

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by gypsydjango, Oct 3, 2017.

Tags:
  1. gypsydjango

gypsydjango

Jul 9, 2009
    UK
    I am into the so called 'Old school sound'. Before I spend the ££'s / $$'s on a set of strings your advice welcome. I am a jazzer.
    I am looking for a medium tension set that is good for both pizz and arco. Steel or synthetic that hold their tuning. I like the 'Innovation' sets--tried a couple of theirs--like the sound but find not to good for arco. I have tried Evah Pirazzi Weighs, my favourite so far for both arco and pizz. What have you tried and liked?
    Do you 'mix and match' strings? If so what makes?
    If you 'mixed and matched' steel and synthetic would you get an imbalance of tone and volume?
    Question's regarding gut strings (Never tried): Good for both pizz and arco? Hold their tuning? Long lasting ? 'shelf' life? Would you buy a used set of gut?

Look forward to your experiences on string types.
    Many thanks.

2. Bisounourse

Bisounourse

Jun 21, 2012
    Gent, Belgium
    Oy vey... welcome down the rabbit hole.

Consensus is that you should try Spirocores, although there a bit scratchy under the bow (although I never had a real problem)
    Others you can try: Zyex Med or Light: played the Mediums on a ply (but strictly pizz, bowing just to tune up), they sounded rather nice, Lights were a good match for my carved bass, but the G was on the nasal side.

Others can chime in as well, and there are a lot of threads under the string section.

3. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    Tallahassee
    I'll give you this example:

My bassist friend in college in the same grade as me got a new bass sophomore year. It had a super old set of Heritage strings on them (known I think as lower quality synthetics). When the E broke in orchestra rehearsal, she asked 3 people what strings to by and they said spirocores. She asked me and I said "if you like a lower tension feel, then get spirocore s42 lights. If you want more tension get spirocore s42 mediums". She got the lights, threw them on and they worked fine. Won 1st chair in the orchestra with them, played in the top jazz band with them, played on a small tour with christian scott with them, and is now in grad school with them.

Got a text a few months ago: "hey these strings are kind of old. I think I put them on 4 years ago, do you remember what they're called?"

So here is my suggestion to you:

if you like a lower tension feel, then get spirocore s42 lights. If you like a little more tension get spirocore s42 mediums

Let me compare to Evah lights which you've tried. Get spirocore s42 lights if you liked the tension of Evah lights, get s42 mediums if you wanted a little more tension.

4. Selim

Selim Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2008
    New York City
    If you like the Innovation sets, you might want to try the new Innovation Polychromes. They bow like a dream and have a full & dark gut-like pizz.